bios thinkpad 600e

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 5, 2005 9:56:54 PM

I am trying to change a bios setting on my 600e. (I want to change the
printer port to be ECP, so that the printer will work).

I can get into the bios, (power - F1 etc). When I'm in the bios, I cant
change any of the settings, it just gives me options to change the date
and time, and run diagnostics on the verious components of the machine.
But I don't see any options to disable the infra red, set power
management settings etc

Where can I change these bios settings.

I'm running XP
I looked at the ibm website, it seems as if you need to do it through
software (it said click start, ibm utilities etc, but of course I dont
have any ibm utilities installed.

Is there a way I can change my bios settings without software, and if
not where can i get the software

cheers

More about : bios thinkpad 600e

May 7, 2005 12:03:38 AM

Hi there,

In these old machines there is very little one can actually
change in the Bios, none of the things you want to.

Disabling the infrared you can do from the device manager
in Windows. Power management is done in Windows Control
Panel. I can not find any way in Windows where you can set
your printer port to ECP. But you can do so using IBM's
"Configurator". It is found here; (22 MB)
http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?ln...

It seems to be a new version since only two months. I use a
slightly older one.

God luck!

On 5 May 2005 17:56:54 -0700, workintandem@hotmail.com wrote:

>I am trying to change a bios setting on my 600e. (I want to change the
>printer port to be ECP, so that the printer will work).
>
>I can get into the bios, (power - F1 etc). When I'm in the bios, I cant
>change any of the settings, it just gives me options to change the date
>and time, and run diagnostics on the verious components of the machine.
>But I don't see any options to disable the infra red, set power
>management settings etc
>
>Where can I change these bios settings.
>
>I'm running XP
>I looked at the ibm website, it seems as if you need to do it through
>software (it said click start, ibm utilities etc, but of course I dont
>have any ibm utilities installed.
>
>Is there a way I can change my bios settings without software, and if
>not where can i get the software
>
>cheers

Lars
Stockholm