Sign in with
Your question

Good or bad CPU and Graphics-card?

Last response: in Components
July 26, 2011 4:32:54 PM

My brother recently bought a new computer (without knowing if the parts are good) and it has an cheap intel processor and an NVIDIA GT420 2048 MB graphics-card.

So my question is that: is this processor and graphics-card good or bad, and what games can they run?

-Intel Pentium E5800 processor 2 MB L3 cache, 3.20 GHz, DDR3 800 MHz, 65 W (un-overclockable)
-nvidia GT420 2048 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM (total available memory 4854 MB)

Or should he just buy new parts?

(It's an desktop computer)

Thanks! :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 5:34:24 PM

The CPU is 3 generations old and not even a good one from that generation. The GPU is the slowest direct X11 card Nvidia make and its only sold to big PC builders like Dell & HP and is not for sale separately. You will not be able to play power hungry modern games like Crysis 2 or Metro 2011 at all you may be able to play less demanding modern games on lowest settings and resolution. If you got a better graphics card (which may need a better PSU) then you should be able to play non demanding games on medium settings but if you want a gaming PC then take it back and start again. From the specs I think it must just have been about the cheapest PC for sale new, if not I suggest you return it for a refund.
July 26, 2011 5:36:40 PM

Suolakeksi said:
My brother recently bought a new computer (without knowing if the parts are good) and it has an cheap intel processor and an NVIDIA GT420 2048 MB graphics-card.

So my question is that: is this processor and graphics-card good or bad, and what games can they run?

-Intel Pentium E5800 processor 2 MB L3 cache, 3.20 GHz, DDR3 800 MHz, 65 W (un-overclockable)
-nvidia GT420 2048 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM (total available memory 4854 MB)

Or should he just buy new parts?

(It's an desktop computer)

Thanks! :) 

Did vendors cheat you mate?
Cuz if your getting that pc for free which is a bargain i wouldnt pay 40dollars for it.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2013 5:08:35 AM

If that PC has an ATX cabinet then its the only thing you should keep, rest all is just a scrap.

If i were you, i would've saved some decent amount of money and build a PC myself with respect to my needs. so its up to you to decide weather to upgrade that scrap or build a 3rd gen PC!
March 27, 2013 8:35:09 PM

Holy necro Batman.
April 30, 2013 7:26:53 AM

Simply Both are old and crap.
May 22, 2013 6:30:47 AM

What do you mean good or bad?The correct term is new or old architecture.Good or bad brand name and depends on manufacturer for the material quality of the components.I was looking for a graphics card from ebay and there was a new one from china that was cheaper than the one from uk.I dont know if i am wrong or not but i think many pc components that are very cheap they are not durable.
July 9, 2013 12:25:13 PM

Burn it....burn it with fire!

If you have to cash you can probaly get some ok upgrades...

Here is a link where they they have a bunch of cpus and gpus have a look
http://pcpartpicker.com/
July 9, 2013 11:21:43 PM

It was a very bad buy.
Those specs are quite old, they shouldnt even sell it anymore.
Its quite hard to upgrade from that build because of compatibility issues.
I think you just start from scratch and build a much future-proof-ish type of rig.
July 9, 2013 11:26:37 PM

just use it for internet browsing and listening to music.
July 22, 2013 7:39:36 AM

lol this was posted on 2011
July 22, 2013 8:23:15 AM

^^^ :D :D :D :D :D :D  we have been robbed!!!
October 7, 2013 4:47:18 PM

..... hope it was at gun point because that was a steal lol lame joke i know
December 25, 2013 12:40:02 AM

bro
both the graphics card and processor is very bad.
i think it could not play any new games and ur best bet would be to upgrade ur gpu to at lease a ati 6670
March 23, 2014 5:18:59 AM

instead of using GT420, you'd be better using GT440 DDR5 from Digital alliance,
its cheap but strong enough to play Tomb Raider 2013, BF3, COD etc
its clock quite high, and i used it a few years ago, benchmarking using combuster got quite high FPS
http://www.digitalalliance.co.id/product/graphic-card/n...

processor you could use E7xxx series, you could search a second-used,

mysuggest : better to upgrade your pc before everything too late, and expense more money, you could use AMD and ATI for the cheaper ones

!