Athlon II X4 645 on M2NPV-VM

Howdy folks,

I ordered an Athlon II X4 640 to slot into my Asus M2NPV-VM. Recent BIOS updates expanded the CPU support list to include the 640 (but nothing beyond that). My CPU arrived today, and to my shock and horror they sent me the 645!

It'll be great if it works since I get 100MHz for free, but I'm a bit nervous that the board won't support the 645. It's essentially the same CPU, just with a higher multiplier... What are the risks here?

Urgent response would be appreciated: I'm dying to install that chip! Will also post on the Asus forums just to be certain.
15 answers Last reply
More about athlon m2npv
  1. I think you might not be able to get the cpu supported.
    Could you return it?
  2. ghnader hsmithot said:
    I think you might not be able to get the cpu supported.


    Guess, or based on solid evidence? I need to be sure.
  3. Double post... Sorry, the "Site is temporarily unavailable" error still occurs at times.
  4. are you using the latest bios version?
  5. Version 5005, yes. It supports up to the 640 according to the Asus website.
  6. I cant find anything really however it might work due to the fact it has limited OC ability.
    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/966/amd_am2_digital_home_asus_m2npv_vm_motherboard/index5.html

    And if i remember correctly sometimes some cpus arent supported due to the power design of a cpu that is the socket power design is not up to the task of supporting your cpu.

    That is my take.
    Sorry i couldnt be of help.
  7. It's still a 95W CPU same as the 640. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Maybe someone else has a more definitive answer.
  8. Folks on the Asus forums tend to think it will work but I might be voiding the CPU warranty. Any more opinions?
  9. Quick update: the supplier sent me the 645 because they were out of stock on the 640. They told me I could install and play around with it, and send it back if it doesn't work. Whoopee! Play time!
  10. Herr_Koos said:
    Quick update: the supplier sent me the 645 because they were out of stock on the 640. They told me I could install and play around with it, and send it back if it doesn't work. Whoopee! Play time!

    Hope everything goes well.
    Dont forget to update us on the situation.It will increase community knowledge on what is possible and what is not.
  11. Will do, thanks.
  12. Not looking good, unfortunately.. CPU installed successfully as far as I can tell, but no start-up, no beeps, no display.

    What to do?
  13. Herr_Koos said:
    Not looking good, unfortunately.. CPU installed successfully as far as I can tell, but no start-up, no beeps, no display.

    What to do?

    I think you have to return it.
    Sorry mate for the unsuccessful upgrade.
  14. IT WORKS!!!!!!

    I had to remove and replace my GPU for some strange reason, but the CPU is detected 100% correctly.
  15. Herr_Koos said:
    IT WORKS!!!!!!

    I had to remove and replace my GPU for some strange reason, but the CPU is detected 100% correctly.

    congrats
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Asus Support