nsol

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi guys,

So, I'm going to get a new gaming PC sometime in the next two weeks and I'm just bringing together all the parts that I need. I would appreciate your advice on finding a new PSU and case. The parts I have so far are:

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 LE Intel P67 (Socket 1155)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560Ti OC Twin FrozR II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Thanks!

P.S. I'll be ordering from Overclockers (UK).

cscooper2000

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I just built two of (almost) the same system you've listed here. I went with a Deluxe and an EVO board, rather than your LE. My graphics cards are an MSI GTX460 HAWK and a HAWK Talon Attack. I was optimizing for video content creation, but have been overjoyed how much I like playing games now (Tombraider, Civilization 5, Spore, SimCity, etc, etc). But I digress.

In my research, I came to trust Corsair (and nobody else) for my PSU. As I was building two near-identical machines (one for my wife) at the same time, I had the luxury of ordering a couple variations of each item. I knew my needs would grow, but my wife's needs are fixed. So we got the Corsair TX650 for my wife and the Professional HX850 for me. Both of them are well packaged, well-reviewed and give me much confidence that I made the right choice(s).

Something I didn't know (or really know was an option) before I ordered: The HX-series comes with MODULAR power cables. So if you don't need power for 20 devices, you just plug in the one or two cables you need. This REALLY simplifies cable managment. The TX arrived a few days after I built my machine. As I built my wife's machine with the TX, I was surprised to find that the modular design is NOT standard (how quickly the world owes us ease and convenience). HAHA... I didn't even know modular cabling existed 3 days before and now I was a little put off that the TX didn't have it.

At any rate, it's what's inside that counts, right? Now that I've tied off the unused power cables and set them out of the way inside my wife's case, she's plugging away, I'm plugging a way and it really doesn't matter that there are a few extra cables sitting in her machine that aren't being used. I'm very happy with both purchases (but if you can get an HX for less than a TX with the right power requirements) then do that!

Now for the case. Again, I had the opportunity to work with and compare two different cases. And a similar experience occurred. I LOVED all of the simple and easy features, roomy cable management, lots of [free] fans, etc of my CoolerMaster HAF932 Advanced. I wasn't a fan of buying something that looks like a 16-year old's gaming system (no offense if you're 16). I'm 35 and I want something that looks a little more business, polished and professional. Having said that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything that the HAF932 provides by way of cable management, cooling, front panel hookups and LOTS of leg room (great for large graphics cards and tons of hard drives, DVD, Burner, Blu-ray, Burner, etc, etc, etc).

So again, building my wife's computer with the "little brother" HAF 922 case, I came to discover a few of the 932's conveniences were missing. No side chassis fan, no USB3.0 on the front panel, no Firewire and no eSATA (but my wife won't use those things). Aside from that, the case is also smaller, which I LOVE because the HAF932 is a giant! But while building the system, I prefer the 932. For tucking under a desk, I prefer the 922. If I remember correctly, the hard drive caddys on the 922 were a little tougher to work with. You really gotta push to get the rubber "pins" fully seated into your drive. Also, the 922 has no uptake vent for the PSU to bring in cool air from under the computer. The 932 does.

In short, the 932 was funner to build and will be funner to modify in the future. It will also keep my system ever so slightly cooler that the 922. Also, if you need front panel USB3.0, I recommend the 932, or upgrading your MOBO to the Deluxe (which comes with a front panel (which I used on the 922 with the P8P67 EVO).

Final note: I'm not sure if there is a HAF932 and a HAF932 Advanced? My box says "Advanced", but maybe they all do. I didn't try to order "Advanced", I just ordered the HAF932, so maybe they are all labeled "Advanced". My point is, if there IS a different model available, I would likely buy the "Advanced" 932, cause I wouldn't want to change a THING about it (except maybe the cosmetic design).

EDIT: There is one small annoyance I have with the all-mighty HAF932 Advanced case. You must plan the placement of your DVD drives, etc carefully. The USB 3.0 front-panel is already in place and doesn't seem to be designed to be relocated. Any device you add to the system, such as your DVD or Blu-ray drive(s), will be more or less permanent (if you care about cosmetics) because you must first pop out the metal bracket behind the faceplate. The faceplates pop in and out easily enough, but poping out the metal bracket, though simple, is a permanent choice. I guess you could super-glue it back in, but basically once it's out, it's out. So that if you decide to move your DVD drive to a different slot later, you'll leave a gaping hole just behind the faceplate. If you like to see into your computer's guts (and maybe most people who buy the HAF932 dig that) then you might just pop out ALL of the metal brackets for an even look. Hopefully you can see what I mean in this image of the HAF932 with front panel popped out so you can see the decorative metal plate behind.

Check ebay out, I just picked up 8Gb of 1600 vengeance up for £71.67 inc postage :)
+1 to Corsair Tx series (not a modular psu convert)
and case-wise, what do you want/not want from a case?
to see internals?
watercooling holes?
lights and fans galore?
give us a pointer or two as to taste/requirements and budget and we'll roll out the usual suspects
Moto

nsol

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I love your advice and will definitely take it on board. I've heard great things about HAF32 but it's way out of my budget.

In regards to the MOBO, I'm still stuck on whether to get the Pro or not. From what I've read, SLI support comes with the Pro and I'm thinking of doing that in the near future. So, I think I may go with it.

nsol

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

I don't really have one right now. I'm looking at around 900 for my computer and 1100 with screens.

nsol

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

I've had such bad experiences with ebay that I refuse to use it.

To be honest, I'm not fussy about cases. I just want something that's big and will be 'mature'. I don't want to spend crazy amounts on it.