Sign in with
Your question

Updated a machine with a HD 4300 to HD 6850 and not working - Any Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2011 1:17:30 AM

Trying to get some help on a odd computer problem I ran into this weekend. I had a computer running a Radeon HD 4300 video card. I switched the card for a new HD 6850 and the computer booted fine. Installed new 6850 drivers and rebooted fine. Then as I was running the Windows system test and the computer suddenly shut off. After turning the machine on, there was no video output on the monitor, and the 6850's fan was running at full bore. Plugging the 4300 back in the machine booted fine.

Plugged the 6850 into another machine that was running a HD 5830 and the card sounded fine, but the machine didn't boot Win 7 because it was complaining about a video driver.

What could cause the 6850 to not boot in the machine using the 4300? I am sending the card back to get replaced, but I was concerned since it seemed to work in the other machine.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
a c 169 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 3:37:21 AM

What are your system specs(including PSU) ?
m
l
February 21, 2011 1:13:35 PM

I might not know exactly some of the specs but let me see if I can dig them up for the older machine

GIGABYTE GA-73PVM-S2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7100 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
2 GB DDR2 Ram
I can't seem to find the order history on CPU, but it is a Intel Dual Core decent specs for 2009

-This was the vid card that was in the machine prior to the upgrade
MSI R4350-MD512H Radeon HD 4350 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

-This was case/psu prior to upgrade
APEX DM-387 Black Steel Micro ATX Media Center / Slim HTPC Computer Case w/ ATX12V Flex 275W Power Supply

(This is a new PSU I ordered with this upgrade)
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular LED Power Supply

New Case
Thermaltake VF6000BNS Lanbox Lite Black without Window

New Vid card
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 VGA/DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/Display Port PCI-Express Video Card 100315L

Basically the motherboard, CPU, and RAM all all existing, only upgrades are Case, PSU, Vid Card. The PSU is the same model I am running in my main gaming rig which powers a i7 with 5830, So unless the PSU is bad I can't imagine it isn't sufficient for the above system
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2011 4:55:23 PM

New card should be in today, but I won't have access to the machine I am upgrading for a couple weeks.

Only reason I didn't try to just fix the driver issue, was that I thought Win 7 would boot and load default drivers for the card. Instead it wanted me to insert my Win 7 disk, and repair windows, something that I didn't have time to do. I was more interested in seeing if the card would even give me a monitor signal, which on the upgrading computer it did not.
m
l
March 12, 2011 7:59:52 PM

I just received a new PSU and new 6850 and decided to give the build another go.

I am having the same problem as I posted above, but let me recap;

GA-73PVM-S2H mobo with core 2 duo CPU
had a Radeon 4350 Videocard (PCI-E but no power leads or fans) that I was upgrading to a Radeon 6850 (1 Power lead and fan).
PSU RX-530SS

Everything plugged in with the 4350 and the system boots and works fine.

Install the 6850 and i get no video signal and the video card runs at full fan (sounds really loud)

Sent the 6850 out and got a replacement

Purchased a spare PSU to try

Same results... 4350 fine, 6850 jet plane and no work.

Mobo has onboard video with the system kicks over to after a few seconds, boots fine but of course doesn't detect the video card at all.

I have all the video drivers uninstalled before I tried the switch, but since this is a boot problem i doubt that it will impact.

I tried pulling the bios battery with no luck as well.

The only thing I can think to try still is replacing the motherboard, but I don't know for the life of me why the 6850 doens't work. I've tried it in my i7 machine and it works fine, but not this machine.

Any insight would be great!
m
l
!