Apr 27, 2011
Specs:

Intel i7 930
Gigabyte X-58A UD3R (rev 2.0)
6 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
XFX Radeon HD 5850
Windows 7 Home

Problem:

Every day my computer will randomly slow down, either a) slow down to a stop and give me BSOD b) slow down to a stop and reboot comp without BSOD or c) speed back up but go to A or B. At times too, when the reboot happens the computer would try to start up again and shutdown.

History:

Motherboard crapped out on me about a month and a half after purchase. I sent it back in and this one's been working about 3 months before the slowdowns. At one point the slowdowns and restarting were quite frequent, I took everything apart and dusted them off and reassembled them and reset CMOS. It worked smooth for a week but the slowdowns started happening again. During the period of frequent slowdowns and restarting, I tried running MemTest to check if it was the RAM and it would crash and restart the computer. Then during the smooth run week, ran MemTest and it said the RAM was fine.

what should I do?

LittleMing111

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
For RAM, I checked the timing and voltage. My mobo defaulted to 8-8-8-20 with 1.5V. The timing on the RAM was 9-9-9-24 and I changed it. It still locked up and gave me restarts. Then I read on a forum that it would run more stable if I upped the voltage to 1.6V, I did that and still gave me issues.

As for PSU, I have a Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W. I don't think its the PSU because when my mobo died the first time, I initially thought PSU and bought one of those power checkers and the PSU was fine.

I forgot to mention, this was the first computer I ever built myself. When I first assembled it, I did not attach the heatsink properly on the CPU. I ran it for 1 to 2 months with it and played Starcraft 2. I took notice of the CPU temp to around 80 to 90 degrees and realized my stupid error. I talked to the tech guy at my work and he said it might be CPU.

So I'll check the ram modules one at a time tonight. Is there a way to check if my CPU is damaged?

stalker7d7

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
have you checked your current ram usage when it's slowing down? It could be linked to a memory leak. I know last time I tried IE it had a major ram leak that killed my 4 gigs in a matter of minutes...