Sign in with
Your question

Brand New PSU DOA?

Last response: in Components
July 26, 2011 10:18:47 PM

Just bought a new Silverstone Mini ITX case with a built in 300 watt power supply.

MOBO is an ASUS with it's own power supply.

I am not getting any output from the psu. Guy at the pc store I bought it from said that he doubts that it is DOA. A pretty rare occurrence.

Is there some kind of reset on the thing or anyway to test it?

I have the entire machine assembled and hate to think I will have pull the whole thing apart to RMA it.

Thanks!

More about : brand psu doa

July 26, 2011 10:24:18 PM

Actually he is full of it. A PSU can be DOA just as quick and just as often as any other piece of hardware. Make sure it is plugged in correctly, turn the manual switch on the PSU to on position and check with a multimeter to see if the PSU is producing voltage. Another simple way to tell if your PSU is fried is to smell it.
If after you have checked the PSU and found it to be defective. Take it back to the store and if the guy argues with you just tell him to power it up and check it with a multimeter. If it still does not work and the guy still argues. Go over his head to his boss.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 26, 2011 10:25:42 PM

yeah I will agree doa happens. you can try the paper clip trick.
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2011 10:53:20 PM

zalittle said:
Actually he is full of it. A PSU can be DOA just as quick and just as often as any other piece of hardware. Make sure it is plugged in correctly, turn the manual switch on the PSU to on position and check with a multimeter to see if the PSU is producing voltage. Another simple way to tell if your PSU is fried is to smell it.
If after you have checked the PSU and found it to be defective. Take it back to the store and if the guy argues with you just tell him to power it up and check it with a multimeter. If it still does not work and the guy still argues. Go over his head to his boss.

I kind of figured that he was full if it. I went out and bought a meter and sure enough...nothing.

No smell to the thing though.

I am going to pull it from the machine and hopefully they will just give me a couple of bucks credit to something a little better.

What is the paper clip test?
m
l
July 26, 2011 11:23:19 PM

This is strange.

I did the paper clip test and the fan turned on. It wasn't making any noise but it was definitely spinning.

When I turned the power switch to off, then the fan accelerated for a few seconds and shut off.

What do you guys think?
m
l
July 26, 2011 11:37:26 PM

What ticks me off is that all I want the thing to do is power the optical drive. Everything else is powered by the MOBO which has it's on power supply.

Why would the power meter show nothing yet the paper clip test work? Ha! Maybe the $25 power meter is DOA.

m
l
a c 285 ) Power supply
July 26, 2011 11:42:28 PM

Did you have anything indicating to the PSU that it should be on when you used the meter? The green wire needs to be shorted to the black wire for the PSU to start sending power, either by a paper clip or by the motherboard, but simply flipping the switch on the back of the PSU to on will not cause it to start outputting power.
m
l
a c 285 ) Power supply
July 26, 2011 11:58:22 PM

The PSU in the case is made for a board that doesnt have its own built in power source so its designed to have its 24 pin main connector plugged into a motherboard to tell it to power on, since you dont have a board with a place to plug it in you will need to get creative with some rigging, a togle switch between the green wire and a ground would be sufficient to let you turn it on with the rest of the system, but it will require some modding to make it easily accessible.

Im not actually sure how they expect you to power a hard drive or anything else with that board, maybe it was assuming everything else would be done via USB? Thats the only real option that makes sense since they put the spot for the 24 pin main connector then didnt solder one on.
m
l
July 27, 2011 12:13:10 AM

There is a plug on the MOBO that allows you to attach two SATA drives. I have the HDD on it and it "appears" okay at this point.

Bios recognizes it and I can hear it when booting.

Whether it works in practice is anyone's guess because I cannot load the OS with the optical drive.

The optical drive is a Sony slimline slot feed deal. The cable cable coming out of it has a 4 pin mole and the SATA pigtail.

SATA pigtail goes to the MOBO for data but I don't know where the 4 pin mole goes now. I assumed it would be the only thing the PSU would be driving.

This can't be such a difficult problem to solve?
m
l
July 27, 2011 12:37:12 AM

I'm going to assume you have your (SATA?) HDD connected to the 4-pin molex connector on that motherboard.

You could find a Y-splitter, that would be 4-pin female on the one end, with two SATA power.

Edit: Ah, optical is molex. Okay, see Delluser1's link.
m
l
July 27, 2011 12:47:30 AM

Don't think that will work.

I assume that the molex from the optical drive plugs into the molex on your cord suggestion. The problem is the SATA pigtail on it is female. Do they make one with a male SATA power connector?
m
l
July 27, 2011 12:59:56 AM

Is your optical drive an external?
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
July 27, 2011 1:09:10 AM

awkiii said:
Don't think that will work.

I assume that the molex from the optical drive plugs into the molex on your cord suggestion. The problem is the SATA pigtail on it is female. Do they make one with a male SATA power connector?

Yes, use it with the existing adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!