Sign in with
Your question

Constant Shut Down

Last response: in Motherboards
April 9, 2012 3:37:27 PM

Well, It's my first time here and i am glad to be apart of this forum.

I am having a hard time with two (2) PCs and they both got the same problem- constant shut down.

My PC specs are : ECS GeForce 7050M-m v2.0 Motherboard. DDR2 1 GB 667mhz of RAM, 250 GB Seagate Hard Drive and 500watt Power Supply.

When ever loading the operating system and it reach to certain area it will just shut down. I would press the

power button and try again then it will continue from where it had stopped before then after a few minutes

shut down again at a different section. I would be so grateful for some assistance.

More about : constant shut

April 9, 2012 3:42:14 PM

Is this a generic power supply? That might possibly be the problem right there. What operating system are you using? If you are using x64, I think you need 2GB as a minimum system requirement. It might still work with only 1GB, but it may be very slow to load.
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 3:43:54 PM

It's either overheating OR viruses... Run it in safe mode and awhile booting up, press F8 until it go to boot option or boot menu and select safe mode and see if it shut down, if not than it got viruses...
Related resources
April 9, 2012 4:00:27 PM

richkster said:
Well, It's my first time here and i am glad to be apart of this forum.

I am having a hard time with two (2) PCs and they both got the same problem- constant shut down.

My PC specs are : ECS GeForce 7050M-m v2.0 Motherboard. DDR2 1 GB 667mhz of RAM, 250 GB Seagate Hard Drive and 500watt Power Supply.

When ever loading the operating system and it reach to certain area it will just shut down. I would press the

power button and try again then it will continue from where it had stopped before then after a few minutes

shut down again at a different section. I would be so grateful for some assistance.

Open up the PC and verify (if you have one) that the fan on the CPU is actually running when you power it on. I also agree that it sounds like it's overheating. Especially with it shutting down at a different point after it shuts itself off. Do you smoke around the machine? Could be that the inlets for fresh air to be pulled into the PC are clogged with smoke and dust. You could also check the front of the machine for dust bunnies that may have taken up residence in your PC. Its amazing how fast a little dust can completely choke your system of crucial cooler air to keep the system running.
April 9, 2012 6:02:23 PM

Yes it is a generic power supply. Trying to load Windows XP on it. using x86
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2012 6:08:23 PM

First of all, check the CPU temperature inside the BIOS. The temperature of CPU should be below 70C. If the temperature is too high, you will need to re-sit the CPU heatsink and make sure there is enough thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink.

You may try to do the bench testing without the case.

If possible, try different known good brand name power supply in order to verify this issue.
!