Sign in with
Your question

Low profile pci express cards fit in a full height slot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 8:22:45 AM

Hi,

I only have low profile pci express slots free in my case. I already have an ATI radeon card in the pci express x16 slot, but I want an extra 2 screens for my pc. If I get a low profile pci express x1 card will this fit in a full height pci x1 slot?

Also, are there likely to be any issues with running 2 different graphics cards on the same pc (albeit same manufacturer)?

thx
Dan
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 2:24:24 PM

Hi malmetal,

Ok, the system I have is a hp p6785:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ie/en/ho/WF06b/12454-124...

It already has an ati radeon hd sapphire graphics card installed:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11163-13-20R-Graphics-...

This runs 2 monitors, I want the machine to run 4, however I'm having trouble finding an ati pci express x1 graphics card that can run 2 monitors and is compatible with Windows 7.

All I'm coming across are pci express x2, 16 or x1 low profile cards. It's a full height case and I only have 3 pci express x1 expansion slots available.

Please help

a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 4:36:00 PM

^+1 definitley go with one workstation card with quad output
alot less headache with possible conflicting drivers using a multi card setup.
be ashamed not to use the OPs card though
on the OPs 5770 it has eyefinity
I wonder if it is capable of 4 displays with possibly adapters?

Related resources
February 21, 2011 4:36:56 PM

You'll need to do a little more research on the specification on the mobo your Pc has, and tell us whether it has a free PCIe slot or a PCI slot.

As far as I understand PCI and PCIe slots are not compatible so you can't use a PCI card in a PCIe slot, vice-versa.

If you have a free PCI slot then all you have to do is get a PCI card. Unfortunately many shops have stopped supplying ATI PCI cards, but there are plenty of Nvidia PCI still out there. This is not a problem and you won't have any driver conflicts (look at my specs, I'm running an Nvidia card AND a low-profile ATI PCI card).
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 8:04:51 PM

malmental, thanks for the info, I think I'll go with a low profile ati card which can run 2 monitors - just need to find a uk seller now :-)

I'm a bit annoyed at myself for net specing stuff out properly to begin with, bought an ati sapphire radeon hd 5770 which is sold as a quad monitor card, but can only run a max of 3 monitors, with 2 dvi, 1 apple display port and 1 hdmi - not what I'm after with dvi + vga monitors in a business environment

thx
!