Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 error installing monitor drivers

Last response: in Windows 7
December 3, 2011 2:48:25 PM

I was using the drivers from AOC on my e234Fk LED monitor when i first purchased it 6 months ago, not sure what happened but windows 7 now is using the generic pnp monitor drivers from Microsoft dated 6/15/2006 and will not let me update to the latest drivers from AOC, i get "window encountered an error while installation". Does anyone have a fix for this ?
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 4:18:29 PM

Technically, there are no such thing as "Monitor Drivers", it should simply be a .inf file that supplies the correct information about your monitor to Windows. It simply installs what the default settings, and optional settings, and maximum settings that are displayed under the screen resolution controls for your particular monitor. This keeps you from selecting resolutions and refresh rates that your monitor cannot support. Although this is not a big deal with an LCD, with the old CRT's you could quickly fry them if you selected refresh rates that were higher than your monitor could support.

How are you trying to install the file? The correct method is to unzip the package, go to the unzipped file location and right click on the .inf file, and then click "install" on the popup menu.
m
l
December 3, 2011 6:03:15 PM

I have let Windows try to install and manualy gone thru device manager and gone thru update driver. This is funny the driver i downloaded from AOC's web site after unzipping it does not have a .inf file. Only security catalog, ICC profile and setup information.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 7:33:31 PM

It won't work that way because, like I said, technically its not actually driver, I don't know why they call it a driver, to save confusion I suppose but it won't install like a driver because, its not a driver! The setup program is not a setup program either! It is in fact an information file, just like I mentioned.

I downloaded the same file, and the file you need to right click on is the one that says it's the "2343" and the type is "setup information". If you would set your explorer to show file types, you would see that this is a in fact a .inf file. That is why it will not do anything if you try to "run" it by clicking on it or installing it the way you have tried. Follow my instructions, right click on that file and then choose install from the pop up menu, and it will do the install correctly.
m
l
December 3, 2011 8:24:07 PM

I really appreciate your help and am very sorry that i am not as knowledgeable as you are in regards to computers and have caused you any grief, i did as you instructed and get this error " The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation".
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 9:00:16 PM

Please, I do not mean to be impolite. I am sorry if I am coming across that way!
Did you unzip the file you downloaded first? It is a zip archive that must be extracted first to work correctly.
m
l
December 4, 2011 1:01:06 PM

It is no problem, i did unzip the file, but get the same error message.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2011 1:48:59 PM

Okay, I see what you mean, I am getting the same message now.

Go here and follow these instructions,
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/update-d...
and see if maybe you missed any steps going through the device manager, if you get the same message still, or another error message, I can only conclude that there is a problem with file it's self, and you may have to contact AOC. To that end though, if you can select the native resolution that the monitor is suppose to work at, 1920x1080 @60hz, then you are okay, installing the driver will enable Windows to show the name of your monitor correctly, as well as only showing resolutions your monitor is capable of, but for all practical purposes, that is all it really does. The driver file actually does nothing that runs or effects the performance of the monitor.
m
l
January 3, 2013 11:40:38 AM

jitpublisher said:
Okay, I see what you mean, I am getting the same message now.

Go here and follow these instructions,
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/update-d...
and see if maybe you missed any steps going through the device manager, if you get the same message still, or another error message, I can only conclude that there is a problem with file it's self, and you may have to contact AOC. To that end though, if you can select the native resolution that the monitor is suppose to work at, 1920x1080 @60hz, then you are okay, installing the driver will enable Windows to show the name of your monitor correctly, as well as only showing resolutions your monitor is capable of, but for all practical purposes, that is all it really does. The driver file actually does nothing that runs or effects the performance of the monitor.

Hi i get the same problem with the AOC E2343Fsk i try all this steps with the drivers from the CD thats come with the monitor, i get new drivers from the AOC website. I have a quetion if the .inf file only have information of the correct refresh rates and all that, is possible to copy and paste all that information in the file Windows is using in this moment? I open the .Inf file from the CD and all looks fine is just windows dont want to use it. I get every time this message Windows have already the best driver install.
m
l
!