I3 2300 or I5 2500k for wow and diablo 3

aces0vr8s

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
This computer will literly be used for NOTHING but world of warcraft and diablo 3, no videos editing internet browsing ect, I originally was planning on spending around 1000 for the i5 2500k build but I can build a i3 2300 for half that. Was wondering if its worth doubleing the cost to upgrade, will not be using SLI will use a single card. Looking to run wow on high ultra getting 60 fps. Ive heard that the i3 is just as good as the i5 for wow, but id like to know for sure before i pull the trigger one way or the other, any advice/suggestions for builds would also be great, thanks!

Oh also i know everyone is against pre builts, but dell has a special on the vostro 460
Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz CPU
4GB DDR3 Memory
320GB HD
Intel HD Graphics 2000
HDMI
16X DVD-ROM
22" Dell E2211H Monitor
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
for 500$

can i even build it for this? Already have a copy of windows 7.

BohleyK

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Just grab the i3. I'm rocking it and have no problems with anything. The only reason people go with the i5K over the i3 is the OCing potential. The i3 is an impressive chip for the money.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
It's tough to say, Blizzard is also so tight lipped about their game requirements until launch. I've read it'll most likely be more than 2 threads (probably 4), so the 2500k is looking like your best bet. Or just wait until the specs are known.

Just to put it in perspective the i5-2300 is only $30 less than the 2500k and the overclocking potential is definitely worth the premium.

Also, I don't understand your rationale. If you take your i3 build and just replace it with a 2500k it'll be 60 more, not double. Or are you just buying them both Dell?

aces0vr8s

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
the i5 needs a more expensive mb psu ect doesnt it? Im really new to this, obviously lol im sorry for my ignorance I just seen lots of people building like 400-500 systems with i3 and when i set up a i5 system it was 700 without a gpu so thats where i got the double thing

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Ah I see, but nope the i5-2500k is the same socket (1155). People who buy the 2500k are usually enthusiasts and enthusiasts usually have too much money :)

That said, you might not get as good of an overclock with a cheaper MB, which is why people often spend the extra cash, but it'll run just fine.

*Also, the P67 chipset is more expensive than the H61 chipset, so that might be a big difference. You can't overclock with the H61 though, so the i5-2500 is the better choice with that or just wait a bit till you can afford the P67.

Look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diy-gaming-pc,2970.html

Although, I would suggest going for a P67 and the 2500k and maybe a larger PSU.

aces0vr8s

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I really do want the 2500k incase i ever need to over clock, or just wanna play around with it, was looking at the asrock extreme 4 mb in my original build, how much could i save with a cheaper board that is easily over clocked if its only 20$ or something ill probably stick with the asrock extreme4, but if its alot id compromise.

I would go for the i5 mainly due to the quad core, which currently is the best to have and will last longer than a dual core will.

As for the price, no you cannot get a better price than Dell. But remember, you also can't get the same crappy parts as Dell. Only two things in that system are decent and thats the monitor and CPU, monitor because I believe that Dell ahs Samsung make theirs. But the mobo, PSU, RAM and HDD are the cheapest that they can get and I wouldn't be suprised if that PSU doesn't die out within a year. I can't tell you how many I have replaced.

Also, for Wow and D3 even with that Dell you would want wa discrete GPU. The HS2K is fine for low end gaming but to run WoW and D3 you will want at least a GTX460 or HD5770.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Dell is a rip off FYI. If you can build your own you can almost always save money and you know you didn't buy total crap parts.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

?

Your intended purpuse, Gaming only, is going to be determined more so by the dedicated GPU that you buy. For purpose of "future proof" and not Kicking yourself in the Hind quarters later - I'd recommend the I5-2500k and a mid level P67/Z68 Board. The diff between the I5-2500 non k and the K is ($10) just not enough to recommend the Non K unless going for a H67 MB then I'd go with the I5-2300 (still only 35$ cheaper.)

I'm sure from the previous posts in reference to the Dell - DON'T. not with standing the Reliabilty issues, that system is for Kids using $10 Kids games or for email and internet broosing.

On MB. Most Mid level P67 boards will do, myself I prefer the Z68..
..If you will NOT SLI/xfire, don't sweat the Nr of pci-e 16 x slots.
..Do look at the distribution of the SATA II/III ports - do they Support your current and Future needs.
..USB3 port - # of USB2 and USB 3. Most should be OK but verify.
..Pick a board that has a relative High number of people who have commented on the board of choice (newegg) and has a Low dissatifaction ratio (ie 1/2 eggs rating) - bear in mind that these need to be taken with a grain of thought.

Personal experience: I bought the ASRock Z68 Board for I5-2500K. Like the board, would be great for gaming if going SLI/Xfire (Has 3 PCI-e 16x slot (8x,8x,8x if all three are populated. . OCs very well. BUT I should have paid more attention to the Sata II/III ports 2- SATA II, 2 Intel Sata III, and 2 Marvel Sata III.
My real requirements - 2 SATA II Optical drives (one Blu-ray Plus one DVD) and 2 Sata II HDDs and 2 SATA III SSDs. Will probably put my 2 SATA II HDDs on the SATA III marvel controller. Excellent USB2/3 distribution.

For $120 - Great price, good reviews for card in this price range. Normally do not recommend sub $100 MBs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157251
This is a Z68 MB (Like combining a H67 and a P67).
.. I perfer the Z over the P as it allows you to build and TEST the system without a dedicated GPU. Should you have a problem with the GPU down stream you can always use the HD3000 IGP (Not so good for gaming). The Other advantages you would not use.
.. Only disavantages - (1) limited PCI-e slots, only 1 x16 and 2 x1 slots. This limits the MB to a single Graphic card and limited added on cards such as audio cards (the audio card would have to be pci-e x1, or older pci card). (2) probable would not support a HIGH OC, mild OC -OK.

PSU - do get a QUALITY PSU ( do not jeperdize your investment).
.. For Single card like 6770 and I5-2500k Non OCed a Quality 450W Min -> 650 W would be a good choice. The 650 would cover a higher end GPU and an OCed CPU.

^
MB (Asrock Z68)/I5-2500k .... $340
PSU Corsair CX500................. $43 (After $10 MIR) Me Corsair TX650 $75 (after $15 MIR)
GPU Sapphire 6770................ $ 107 (After $20 MIR)
RAM 2 x 4 DDR3,CL9 @ 1.5 V. $ 50 (Sweet spot DDR1600 CL9 @ 1.5V) But Very small performance gain $75)
OS .. $100 OEM -> $130 Retail

Core Cost $630 -> $ 730 (Note: going with an I3 will only shave off approx 15%, Your choice)

Add to (May have/ reuse)
DVD drive Approx $25
HDD Approx $75
Case 50-> 100 (personal preference here)
Optional, but I recommend - After marked HSF - Approx $30
Monitor, I'm guessing you have - IF not Add cost.

Added, This is just a starting point. I'm Sure you will get some excellent recommended Changes to it.

I agree with RetiredChief the Z68 offers all the advantages of the P67 but in most cases you are going to pick up support for the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) for both testing but also backup video and multi-display support with dedicated video (3 or more). Then you still have the support for Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) which will allow you to set up a small SSD (Solid State Drive) for caching of commonly used applications to speed up performance without the cost of a larger SSD.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I agree with Retired Cheif & Intel Enthusiast except for one thing:

The Antec Earthwatts EA650 650W PSU is only $60 on newegg.com right now. That's what I recommend for a PSU if you're getting a 650W. If you only get a 500W (not sweet spot price wise), then any Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or XFX will do.

In terms of i3 or i5-2500K. It all depends on your budget. We could help you a lot more if you answered these questions: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice