Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I7 2600k overheating

Last response: in CPUs
July 27, 2011 1:46:06 AM

Hi,

I am stumped. My cpu quickly gets up to 90C in bios. I thought for sure I had messed up the installation of the heat sink, but I've tried reinstalling it three times now (each time I cleaned and re-applied new thermal paste) but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm using a probably rubbish thermal paste by Dynex, but it gets so hot so quickly that I think it may be a hardware problem.

I'm using the stock fan.

the rig:

haf 922 case
i7-2600k
asus p67 sabertooth
8 gb g.skill
corsair tx750 v2

help?

More about : 2600k overheating

a c 151 à CPUs
July 27, 2011 1:47:56 AM

reset your bios in case somehow the cpu is over-voltaged. And definitely get some good thermal paste.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2011 1:55:01 AM

run real temp or hw monitor in windows and recheck your temps. The i7 2600k deserves a better thermal paste
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2011 1:58:54 AM

Thermal paste should not make that much of a difference. It is really only there to fill tiny gaps between the cooler and IHS. You are only using a very small amount of paste (1-2 grain uncooked rice in center), correct? Also, check that your CPU fan is hooked up and operating.
Score
July 27, 2011 2:07:23 AM

The CPU fan is hooked up and I'm using just a small amount of thermal paste. There is good contact between the cpu and the heatsink. The bios are reset to their defaults.

I feel like this should be working, but it's not. I don't know what I'm overlooking.
Score
August 12, 2011 8:33:35 AM

naveto, did you ever figure out what was wrong? I am currently having a similar problem. On start up(of my new build) i get an error that my CPU is overheating. I'm running a 2600K w/stock HSF(arctic silver3 thermal paste) on a P8P67 asus mobo. I've checked the HSF connection and everything is attached correctly. Can anyone shed a little light on my situation?
Score
August 12, 2011 8:39:42 AM

chupoc said:
naveto, did you ever figure out what was wrong? I am currently having a similar problem. On start up(of my new build) i get an error that my CPU is overheating. I'm running a 2600K w/stock HSF(arctic silver3 thermal paste) on a P8P67 asus mobo. I've checked the HSF connection and everything is attached correctly. Can anyone shed a little light on my situation?

It's working fine now and I think it was because the heatsink wasn't close enough to the cpu. I had the heatsink locked in and everything, but I had to apply A LOT of pressure before it started to work properly. I don't think thermal paste made a whole lot of difference.

Also, make sure you're reading the temp not in bios. For some reason, it makes a big difference if you boot up windows and use realtemp or some other monitoring program.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
August 12, 2011 11:48:53 AM

EXT64 said:
Thermal paste should not make that much of a difference. It is really only there to fill tiny gaps between the cooler and IHS. You are only using a very small amount of paste (1-2 grain uncooked rice in center), correct? Also, check that your CPU fan is hooked up and operating.

I agree here with EXT64... the BestBuy Dynex TIM isn't that crappy, but it's also not the best(which is a matter of opinion anyway), it's something else... CPU typically runs warmer in BIOS, but 90c is insane. I would suggest like others have suggested and checking voltages, not only vcore but voltages on everything to make sure the board is functioning correctly.

Staples carries Antec Formula 7 nano diamond compound (which I think is the best) for not much more than what BB charges for the Dynex.

http://www.staples.com/Antec-Formula-7-Nano-Diamond-The...

August 19, 2011 2:08:05 AM

Best answer selected by naveto.
Score
January 15, 2012 2:34:51 PM

Hi just thought i would put my bit in, first of the the k is for over clockers 2600k that means it will over clock to about 4.2 or higher on auto with the new motherboards that are out for it, if you have the 2600 with out the k it will go to about 3.4.
So if you got the one with the k and you go into say battlefield 3, the motherboard will push it up to 4.2 or higher when your in game, you need to install a better heatsink or make sure your motherboard is set not to overclock above 3.3 for the standed heatsink.
Hope this helps
Score
!