Sign in with
Your question

Z77 cheaper than Z68

Last response: in Motherboards
April 9, 2012 9:12:52 PM

Im building a new computer and im waiting for the Ivy Bridge to check if its better than Sandy. Therefore im ofcourse checking the new z77 motherboards. Doing that i found the asrock z77 professional (red fits my colour scheme) for a cheaper price than the z68 professional gen 3. If i am getting a sandybridge cpu will it work with z77 mobos and will it be as good as the z68 mobo? Im from denmark so newegg prices dont apply to me. I have looked for some time and i found it for a cheaper price than the z68. Im really excited and im not sure it will last and im really considering getting it now even though i wont get some of the parts before the start of may. Damn im excited.... :bounce:  So will it make a difference getting the z77 over the z68? If i get the Sandy Bridge instead :) 

More about : z77 cheaper z68

April 9, 2012 9:19:06 PM

If you're getting a z77 motherboard you might as well get an Ivy Bridge CPU because they are better in my opinion than Sandy Bridge for several reasons but, the big plus is that the new Ivy Bridge CPU's are basically the same price so, just go with Ivy Bridge. You will probably be kicking yourself later for not going with the Ivy Bridge.

The Sandy Bridge CPU will work on the z77 boards but, you'll miss out on a few features and performance increases that Ivy Bridge offers. The new z77 boards are cheaper from what I understand because they've been able to add USB 3 and PCIe 3 natively.
April 9, 2012 9:32:00 PM

I will probably get the Ivy bridge unless something comes along with the release that really makes it bad (cant see it happening though). I just checked the sabertooth z77 form asus for the same price and even though it doesnt really fit my colour scheme it does look good and the software that asus has with it (UEFI, fan controller and so on) really look user friendly. However i have heard of negative sides with the thermal shield. At pretty much the same price which would you prefer? Asrock proffesional or asus sabertooth?
Related resources
April 9, 2012 9:41:05 PM

Both are probably good boards. Just give it time for reviews to work out all the BIOS, drivers and bug issues to be worked out - that's what people are telling me as well. I'm going to get an Ivy Bridge and a z77 but, I'm waiting for any issues to be worked out first.
April 9, 2012 10:12:58 PM

Yea, i guess the hype and excitement is too much for me right now. I need to calm down and make a wise choice and not rush it :) 
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 10:43:54 PM

First advantage of Ivy Bridge CPU is RAM support for DDR3-1600 whereas Sandy Bridge users have to force their RAM to run at 1600 due to memory controller with max of DDR3-1333 (unless you have i7-3930K or higher).

Also, Z68 boards were designed to be forward compatible when using Ivy Bridge CPU (which is no guarantee to work as intended) but when pairing a Z77 board with Ivy Bridge CPU, much greater likelihood of success.

If you're already planning on waiting, just wait a little longer.
NewEgg is trying to push Z77 board sales already, by pairing them with Sandy Bridge CPU's, which may work just fine but not as efficiently as Ivy Bridge.
a c 107 V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 12:06:25 AM

sharkbyte5150 said:
First advantage of Ivy Bridge CPU is RAM support for DDR3-1600 whereas Sandy Bridge users have to force their RAM to run at 1600 due to memory controller with max of DDR3-1333 (unless you have i7-3930K or higher).

Also, Z68 boards were designed to be forward compatible when using Ivy Bridge CPU (which is no guarantee to work as intended) but when pairing a Z77 board with Ivy Bridge CPU, much greater likelihood of success.

If you're already planning on waiting, just wait a little longer.
NewEgg is trying to push Z77 board sales already, by pairing them with Sandy Bridge CPU's, which may work just fine but not as efficiently as Ivy Bridge.

1333 is the stock speed not the max speed. I wouldn't say overclocking is forcing it. The only difference is since 1600 is an OC for SB, it voids the warranty, where as 1600 on IB is not so doesn't void it.

Z77 has been out in other countries for a couple weeks before we got it in the US. Newegg isn't pushing sales, all retailers were allowed to release them before the IB cpus came out, so release them they did.

There are not any issues with SB running on z77 nor is there any discrepancies in performance. There's minor differences in usb 3.0 because of the intel controller vs the 3rd party but that's it.

There's no point in getting SB if you aren't even getting the rest of the parts til may.
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 3:19:35 AM

k1114 said:
1333 is the stock speed not the max speed. I wouldn't say overclocking is forcing it. The only difference is since 1600 is an OC for SB, it voids the warranty, where as 1600 on IB is not so doesn't void it.

Z77 has been out in other countries for a couple weeks before we got it in the US. Newegg isn't pushing sales, all retailers were allowed to release them before the IB cpus came out, so release them they did.

There are not any issues with SB running on z77 nor is there any discrepancies in performance. There's minor differences in usb 3.0 because of the intel controller vs the 3rd party but that's it.

There's no point in getting SB if you aren't even getting the rest of the parts til may.

What was the point of re-typing what I said, just differently as if I was being corrected?

Manually entering the clock speed or setting XMP profile in BIOS rather than letting DDR3-1600 run at 1333 could be considered "forcing", as many people have had to do since running DDR3-1600 without XMP will run at 1333 in most cases.

NewEgg is encouraging sales (is that better?) by bundling Z77 boards with 2nd gen CPU's rather than having customers wait for a full Ivy Bridge system.

At no time did I say anything about discrepancies in performance, and by your wording there's no reason for anyone to pair an Ivy Bridge CPU with a Z77 board because apparently there is no boost in performance at all so just get Sandy Bridge because all that's different is USB 3.0.
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 3:32:57 AM

my z68 is running my ram at 1899mhz no problems
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 3:38:50 AM

Is that how it runs without any settings?
As I said, not running at stock speed, underclocked due to the Sandy Bridge RAM limitations, which is the point I was making.
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 3:45:33 AM

theres no setting on my mobo for 2000mhz ram, so i had to settle on 1899. there is a setting for 2100mhz (or something) though.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-virtu-m...

it appears z77 is nearly identical to z68 performance wise, however the virtu mvp (instead of virtu green) looks interesting. performace boosts on your gpu in games from utilizing the onboard graphics.

if z77 is the same price or cheaper i see no point in getting a z68 board at all. even if you are planning on getting a sandybridge processor, which is entirely an option.
a c 107 V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 5:04:41 AM

The performance boost of IB is the cpu not the mobo. I was talking about no performance difference with sb in z77 vs z68. No where did I state IB vs SB.

Saying 1333 is the max speed or the limit sounds like you can't raise it at all. I know you know it can be raised and without xmp. Also some z68 and p67 will default to 1600 or higher.
!