takuma2004

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hi all

I keep getting a blue screen on my new desktop machine. When blue screen comes up it reboot the system itself.

What I have noticed is that whenever it does happen, the netgear wireless adapter that I have stops working. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work again. Is it the wireless adapter that's causing it to crash?

I'm not sure whether it's a hardware fault or software fault.

It's showing the follwing error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 860DB01C
BCP3: BE000000
BCP4: 00400E0F
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\042711-30279-01.dmp
C:\Users\company\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40310-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I hope somebody knows what the error is referring to.

Thanks

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) is usually a result of bad RAM or software conflicts. The observation that your NetGear device stops working when the system crashes could mean the two issues are related; however, it is best to test your RAM using MemTest86+ v4.2 rather than to speculate.

Download the .iso file and burn the disc image to cd or dvd. If you're using the affected computer to burn the .iso, turn off the system and remove all of your RAM, except for one stick. Make sure you check your mobo manual to find out the correct DIMM slot occupancy for single stick use.

Now pop in the MT86+ disc you just burned and allow the test to run itself. Let MT86+ run for at least 3 "passes" (pass, as in "pass through"; not in the pass/fail context). After 3-4 passes, turn off your system and move on to the next stick. Repeat this process until you've tested all of your RAM sticks.

If your RAM checks out OK, get back into your BIOS and make sure that you've manually configured the DRAM settings to the specs printed on the sticker that is on the side of your RAM sticks. If you're occupying four or more DIMM slots, you should increase the DRAM voltage by ~.1.

Should the problem still persist, disconnect your NetGear device and remove the associated software. Download Driver Sweeper or Smarty Uninstaller to ensure complete removal of NetGear software.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
THe BCCode: 124 can also point to bad drivers. Try getting the most up to date driver for the right OS and bit version, see if that helps. If not, consider a replacement wireless adapter.

takuma2004

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I've burned MemTest86+ v4.2 on to a DVD and ran the disc. I tested both memory sticks separately, ran MT86+ for 4 'passes' and found no errors.

I couldn't find any option in BIOS to check the RAM settings. I'm assuming the RAM settings would be ok as the PC was bought from a retail store. Is it still worth checking the RAM settings?

"I couldn't find any option in BIOS to check the RAM settings. I'm assuming the RAM settings would be ok as the PC was bought from a retail store. Is it still worth checking the RAM settings?"

That explains why. Store bought systems typically have locked BIOS. This means that you can't change any of the 'advanced' settings. If your RAM is OK, then the next area to check would be software conflicts; possibly related to your Netgear device.

Disconnect your Netgear device, and then uninstall the software for it. Download and install Prime95 and HW Monitor. Prime95 is a CPU stress tester, which will basically put 100% load on your CPU. HW Monitor is an enhanced GUI version of the Hardware Monitor that you might see just after the computer starts up. What you'd be aiming to do here is check for stability while monitoring your system temps. Typically, this method is used for people who overclock their systems, but I figure the best way to monitor your system is while under stress. If your system crashes after uninstalling the Netgear software (remember to use Driver Sweeper or Smarty Uninstaller), then it's very likely that the hardware itself has problems.

Alternatively, you could just take back to the store or contact the manufacturer regarding warranty.

takuma2004

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

I have disconnected the Netgear adapter and uninstalled the software for it. I've also used Smarty Uninstaller to completely remove it from the machine. However the system is still crashing. I guess that means it's not the adapter or it's software that's causing it to crash, it's probably an internal hardware failure.

Is it still worth downloading Prime95 and HW Monitor and testing the CPU?

takuma2004

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I only bought this computer off somebody on Monday 25/04/2011.

The seller claims that it's brand new, never been used, and it was bought from Argos. However when the PC was first turned on it didn't ask me to enter my Name etc. and it had stuff like Vodafone Mobile Connect, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Live Messenger, and BullGuard Anti-Virus already installed on it.

Most importantly, when I check the Reliability History, it shows that this blue screen problem first occurred on 27/03/2011 (more than a month ago).

Does that mean the seller is lying and has sold a faulty PC to me? These Reliability History stats don't lie do they?

There is no way for any report to pull data that isn't stored in some kind of table, be it a log file or database. The software you listed could have been installed by someone other than the person you bought it from. The person you bought it from may not be lying, if he/she also bought it from someone other than the manufacturer/builder. Clearly, though, this computer is not brand new and has been used before.

If you have a Windows installation disc, you can try doing a repair, or even a fresh install.

takuma2004

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I've returned the PC to the seller. It seems like the guy knew he sold me a faulty PC as he didn't want to return the money and he kept making excuses like he's off to Cardiff for a couple of days which he never did.

The 'Reliability History' report in Windows 7 saved me as I could show him that this problem started a month before I bought it.

Thanks for your help guys.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Eww sorry that happened to ya with this seller. Lesson learned though ya? Its NEVER a good idea to buy a used computer unless its from someone trustworthy like a best friend or family member.