Gaming computer upgrade advice

nibbon

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I am currently upgrading my computer due to a blown video cards (was an 8800GT). I decided to upgrade to GTX 570. Also required me to replace my power supply, so I got an 850W. Those pieces, along with my keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor (1920x1080), and case are not replacable. I also have a second monitor i run at a lower resolution. I run windows 7 64 bit home premium.

I do not like overclocking, longevity of my computer parts is extremely important to me.

Currently running:
q6600 @stock (2.4ghz)
(2x2) 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram (dont remember brand)
ASUS P5N-D
non-stock cpu fan

Upgrades I am looking at:
MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Intel Core i5-2500K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

With my primary usage being gaming (I play crysis, sc2, league of legends) and I plan on playing SWOTR and D3 in the future -

will I see a major improvement with these upgrades? How much of a bottleneck is a harddrive (I currently have a somewhat older 7200 rpm hdd)? Should I just suck it up and OC my 6600 to ~3-3.2 and call it a day? Are these upgrades the best options (budget for these upgrades is about 500 but id be willing to go a bit higher for drastic improvements)?

Solution
Even if you were to OC your Q6600, you would be better off with a core i5 CPU. I hear of people on here every day complaining that their old workhorse Q6600 is not keeping up with the latest games. Yes, I believe you would see a major improvement especially as the CPU goes since you were running at stock anyway.

The hard drive is a significant bottleneck depending on your perspective. I bought an SSD last year in January and I wouldn't go back to a mechanical boot drive. In fact, I'm planning on upgrading my SSD to something larger and faster fairly soon.

If only interested in a mechanical drive, I'd recommend the Samsung f3 1TB. For an SSD, I would seriously consider a 128GB C300 SSD from crucial. Best bang for buck right now in my...
Even if you were to OC your Q6600, you would be better off with a core i5 CPU. I hear of people on here every day complaining that their old workhorse Q6600 is not keeping up with the latest games. Yes, I believe you would see a major improvement especially as the CPU goes since you were running at stock anyway.

The hard drive is a significant bottleneck depending on your perspective. I bought an SSD last year in January and I wouldn't go back to a mechanical boot drive. In fact, I'm planning on upgrading my SSD to something larger and faster fairly soon.

If only interested in a mechanical drive, I'd recommend the Samsung f3 1TB. For an SSD, I would seriously consider a 128GB C300 SSD from crucial. Best bang for buck right now in my opinion. Saw it on special the other day for under 200, but expect it to run about $200 incl rebates.

Is it worth it? People without SSD's will tell you it isn't worth it. SSD owners are believers! Its akin to going from dialup to DSL, a significant upgrade to all around system responsiveness. I can recommend an SSD wholeheartedly but it will be up to you if the performance is worth the cost.

Solution
Yes, you will see improvement. Right now it would be hard to find a better processor then the Intel® Core™ I5 2500K without overclocking it for gaming once you start to overclock it, than it is almost unbeatable. Matching the Intel Core I5 2500K up with a P67 chipset board, a new video card and are going to be a very happy gamer.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

nibbon

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks buzz for your response.

I am not entirely sold on the maturation of the SSD, yet - the degredation issues are bothersome considering my desires for longevity. The f3 is 7200, is it worth getting a raptor @1000?

I think I am pretty sold on upgrading to i5, then...

I just need to think long and hard on my hdd issue. Would it be possible to keep my current hdd and add another speedier one? I'll get the name of my current hdd when i get home from the office.

More opinions are appreciated!

Apevia

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
If you don't plan on overclocking then I don't see a reason to pay for a CPU with an unlocked multiplier (the K series)... Granted it's only $15 difference (based on Newegg prices), but $15 is a cheap steak dinner for someone who's not going to overclock (which I think is crazy talk when it comes to Sandy Bridge btw)

nibbon

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011

I will overclock - just not that much. I just don't like to bring it to the max where it is unnecessary. If it is going to hurt how long the part survives, I'd rather dial it down a notch. That beign said, if I got the i5, i would overclock it to an acceptable level.