Upgrade for HP Pavillion p6537c

jonconnert2

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I want to upgrade my onboard memory to a video card. I was thinking the VisionTek Radeon HD 4850. My processor runs on 95W and my power supply is 250W. Can I upgrade my power without frying my motherboard and card? I don't obviously don't no much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010

What do you plan on using an upgraded graphics card for? And whats your budget? Depending on those two things, we can recommend a power supply and graphics card better. You don't really need to worry about a power supply frying that motherboard, I checked what motherboard it is: Mobo link.

Again, budget and purpose please (aka if its for gaming, what kind of games).

mrxwormxsayz

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I have the same computer but I want to upgrade the Integrated graphics card because it's killing me..
I do play games such as Allods Online (Similar to WoW) and Heroes of Newerth I want to upgrade for less than $200. Anything you could recommend for me to upgrade on this computer without frying her?
Thanks!

Hi, you are posting to a 6 month old thread. You could do better starting your own.

RE upgrade w/o frying.

Two major choices. You can keep the existing power supply (PSU) or you can upgrade the PSU. If you keep the current PSU you can do much better than your current integrated adapter, but you are limitted to low power, low end video cards. If you upgrade the PSU it only cost maybe $60 extra, but you need to remove the old one and install a new new. If you are handy tehn swapping the power supply is trivial. Just unplug he old wires and plug int eh new ones. 4 screws hld in the power supply and it's a standard size. If you open the case and are not going to move all those wires then go for teh low power video cards. Good news, low power video cards are cheap.

You have:
Phenom II X4-830 (D) 2.8 GHz (95W)
250 watt PSU

You can add a 105 watt video card, maybe. But don't overclock it. Say an HD6750 or 5750 (same card, different number).

You can add a lower power card, say Hd 6670.

Here is a ref on video cards, google the card +TDP to get wattage. You have about 200 watts available on 12V total, so you have about 100 watts left for video.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,3018.html

If you swap PSUs then you can put in any video card as long as the card is not too long to fit in the case.