Sign in with
Your question

HD4670 AGP power problem...?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2011 6:41:46 PM

A few days ago I got an HIS Radeon HD4670 AGP video card. First problem was trying to get the proper drivers for it. Finally got that figured out and got it working. When I've been playing a game, the driver keeps kicking in and out, giving the well known error message about amdkmdap has stopped working but has recovered. I've spent the last couple of days searching all over the internet and I see that hundreds of other people are having the same sort of issues with their cards but I've not once found a definite fix to the problem.

I started to check out my power supply compared to others and from what I can understand, that maybe it's not putting out a lot of power...? My PSU is the RP-500-PCAR version: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=...

I don't really understand the rail systems and combined amperages and stuff that people talk about. I've been running this computer for a couple years off of that PSU with a Radeon X1600 Pro video card and not once had any problems. I can understand though that with the 4670 being a more modern card, that it's most likely going to need more amps then what the older cards did. So if someone could give me some information about that sort of stuff and let me know if I'm not getting enough power and that's why I'm having issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Just in case other specs are needed...
Processor: Pentium 4 3ghz "Prescott"
Motherboard: Abit IS7-E2
Memory: 2GB DDR PC3200 (1 OCZ, 1 Kingston)
a c 1401 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 8:09:34 PM

Your PSU should be plenty for that card. Apart from being a faulty card I have heard people playing with Vsync to fix the problem but the only time I experienced it I ended up RMA-ing a X1900GT because of failing Vram on card.
m
l
February 21, 2011 8:35:39 PM

AMD does not issue a WHQL certified driver for the AGP version of those cards, only a hotfix. As such, it has not completed testing by AMD, not even to mention Microsoft.

I'd say it's a driver problem. It probably works under certain conditions/with certain hardware, but because it has not been completely tested, it might crash.

Want a suggestion ?

Return the card and get a PCIe one. Next, replace the motherboard with one those on Newegg that are Skt 478

Either one of those two Biostar models (the second even uses the modern G31Chipset):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

With one of those motherboards you can have a PCIe GPU, and then your driver troubles are gone, and you can always use the GPU on another system when you upgrade.

EDIT: oopps, forgot to tell you, those boards use DDR2...
m
l
Related resources
a c 1401 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 8:52:08 PM

A full system upgrade would be my choice over the option above!
m
l
February 21, 2011 9:45:29 PM

Thanks for the info. That was one of my concerns is that maybe the HIS drivers are messed up. When I spent like 5 hours just trying to get the computer to recognize and get it working, that should have been a bad sign =P Unfortunately I spent all my extra money just buying this card so I don't have anything to go and buy more new parts, and I would much rather just get something modern if I was going to start buying motherboards and things. If I can't figure out something then I guess I might just return it.
m
l
February 22, 2011 12:27:37 AM

rolli59 said:
A full system upgrade would be my choice over the option above!

Mine too, by the way, I just realized shortly after (hence the edit) it would become too expensive when I realized he had to change the RAM too. And when he builds a new system he will be using DDR3 instead of DDR2, so, yeah, it would be a waste of money.
m
l
February 22, 2011 12:44:32 AM

Fenixx said:
Thanks for the info. That was one of my concerns is that maybe the HIS drivers are messed up. When I spent like 5 hours just trying to get the computer to recognize and get it working, that should have been a bad sign =P Unfortunately I spent all my extra money just buying this card so I don't have anything to go and buy more new parts, and I would much rather just get something modern if I was going to start buying motherboards and things. If I can't figure out something then I guess I might just return it.

I've got one last idea: try installing Catalyst 9.3, that is a legacy driver that still has native AGP support for both the X Series and the HD2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx series. You might also want to try the newer Catalyst 10.2, which is the last to have native AGP support for the HD series.

Here for 9.3 for Windows Vista 32-bit: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/9-3/Pages...

If it does not work, just return the card and try to find a good AGP one from earlier days; those will work with older drivers and won't give you any problems.

On Nvidia's side you can try getting a second-hand 7600GS AGP (it's the last AGP card they made in numbers; there are some rare 7900GS and 7950GT models, but you are unlikely to find any)

On AMD's side I suggest you try getting something like a X1950Pro AGP (it's better than the 7600GS and the 7900GS).

Cheers!
m
l
March 3, 2011 11:18:07 PM

Figured I would add just an update to the situation. With the card being an HIS brand, only the HIS drivers would work with it, so I couldn't even use the AGP hotfix ones from the ATI website. I find that pretty dumb since I've never had issues with other brands before, like Sapphire and stuff. Anyway, I never did get the issue solved. According to you guys here, my PSU was capable of running it so that wasn't an issue. I've updated my BIOS, I've changed various settings that others have talked about, I've ran different tests on the computer and everything seems to be working fine, there was never any overheating issues. I've tried everything that I could think of. Then the driver kicked out while I was browsing the internet and I decided that was it.

So I've sent the card back and have just bought a new PCIe system. For $200 I'm getting an AMD Phenom X4 9750, 2GB Memory, and a bunch of other goodies. I've had a Geforce 8800GT sitting around for awhile so now I can finally put that to good use.

I'm not sure how the Powercolor versions of the AGP cards work, if they have the same issues, but as of right now I highly recommend not buying any of the newer AGP cards. That HD4670 worked beautifully when it did work but it's not worth the hassle of trying to get it to work. Besides, for $100 more you can get a modern system =)
m
l
!