Sign in with
Your question

Is it safe to O.C. to max settings using Catalyst?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2011 7:16:58 PM

I'm using the ATI Catalyst software that came with the GPU. It lets you O.C. the GPU and memory by a couple hundred MHz each.

It has a test button that lets you test it to see if it's okay but even at the stock settings my GPU fails. So I did the logical thing and O.C'd them both to the max. It is idling 2 degrees hotter. I have not put it under a load yet.

...........Is this safe? I mean it hasn't crashed, yet.
February 21, 2011 7:20:24 PM

wtf, i just tested it at max and it passed.

At idle the fan is at 78%. Is this going to be an issue?
m
l
February 21, 2011 7:48:01 PM

Test it in some games and go to some reviews on the web to see how your O.C. compares.
If you see any hint of graphical irregularities in games, back off the clocks a bit and re-test. Guru3d.com is a great website for overclocking reviews.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2011 7:51:32 PM

the idle fan speed is quite high to me. running the fan at high speed at all time will shorten it's lifespan. btw i think it is better to OC your graphic card using MSI After Burner. easy to use and you can set the fan profile with it as well. honestly i don't know how reliable CCC stability test. normally people will use furmark or OCCT to test the overclock frequencies stability and i recommend for you to use it as well
m
l
February 21, 2011 7:56:13 PM

how will running the fan on high lower the cards lifespan? maybe if you mean lowering its lifespan from 10 to 9 years, I just can't see why this would ever fail if it is kept clean within a normal cards lifespan
m
l
February 21, 2011 8:07:24 PM

Fans have a maximum lifespan in term of the number of times it can spin before the ball bearing wear out. The higher the RPM, the more times it spins per minute the sooner the fan will reach the maximum number of rotations before the fan dies.

If the fan dies, the GPU can quickly overheat and suffer damage.
m
l
February 21, 2011 8:36:21 PM

alright, that makes sense to me, hopefully you would notice that the fan on your gpu is not spinning and seek a further cooling solution or replace the card altogether. After the point of running a card for so long that the fan dies I would think the card itself would be obsolete most likely, what is the average lifespan for gpu heatsink fans then, I mean even the highest of high end cards is not going to be effective at high end gaming like it once was after 3-5 years so if the average lifespan of a fan is much longer than that then why not run it at decent rpm? I really am not that concerned about it, Ive owned several graphics cards and never have owned them long enough to see a fan die and I usually run my fans speeds on an aggressive curve and also oc my cards as far as reasonably possible and within heat envelopes. I agree with you that the more rpms the more wear the fan receives, etc, but imo if you take care of the card run the fans moderately then burning out a fan in a gpus usable lifespan should be little to no concern at all, again, imo...
m
l
!