Sign in with
Your question

Win7 Installation Issue: Drive Not Visible

Last response: in Motherboards
April 10, 2012 2:00:49 AM

So you're probably thinkin' : "Dear lord, another one of these posts." But I feel as though my situation may be unique.

Mobo: GA-X79-UD3
SSD: Adata S511
HDD: Seagate Barracuda

So I built a PC for my friend and used a HDD from his older computer that has windows 7 on it. The build went great, booted up into the HDD that had win7 on it and I flashed the BIOS (update that would stay post-OS reinstallation). So then the obvious second move was to reinstall the OS on the SSD. When I try to, it does not appear on list of available drives, but the HDD does.

Info:
1. The SSD is visible in the old HDD's win 7 partition and is NTFS formatted.
2. The SSD is visible in BIOS and is in AHCI mode.
3. I tested putting the SSD in IDE mode, no luck.
4. I tried to load the drivers for the Marvell 88SE9172 which is the chipset for some of the SATA ports on the mobo (others are controlled by the x79 chipset). When I load the appropriate drivers I have to UNcheck the box, that says: "compatible with hardware on the system." I hit next, and it installs, but I still do NOT see the drive. When I load the 32bit version of that very same OS it appears on the compatible list, installs, but does not reveal the drive.
5. When I load the x79 64bit drivers, I get an odd error and both of my DVD drivers that I installed on the computer vanish from the list you use to browse for drivers and I have to restart the PC to see them again.
6. The SSD is plugged into one of the Marvell SATA ports.

Any ideas why this puppy ain't showin'?
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 3:11:02 AM

Definitely looks like a driver issue with the Marvell controller. That said, the solution is simple: Use the native X79 SATA III ports. Those are faster and better supported than the Marvell add-on ports.
m
l
April 10, 2012 3:34:10 AM

Just tried it. The SSD still doesn't show up. When I try to load the driver for 64bit windows for the x79 rev III ports, it gives me an error and says to go contact your manufacturer for other drivers. So I go here: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4... and grab the preinstall driver. It's the only x79 SATA driver. When I load that off of a flash drive in the OS installation menu it throws the same error. SSD is still not visible to the installer :( 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 3:35:56 AM

There's no need to load a 3rd party driver for the SATA controller. Windows 7 supports AHCI natively. Can you confirm the SSD isn't DOA?
m
l
April 10, 2012 6:17:03 AM

Using HD Tune Pro to test it right now. Adata doesn't provide a diagnostic tool unfortunately.
m
l
April 12, 2012 8:47:41 AM

Scooter92 said:
So you're probably thinkin' : "Dear lord, another one of these posts." But I feel as though my situation may be unique.

Mobo: GA-X79-UD3
SSD: Adata S511
HDD: Seagate Barracuda

So I built a PC for my friend and used a HDD from his older computer that has windows 7 on it. The build went great, booted up into the HDD that had win7 on it and I flashed the BIOS (update that would stay post-OS reinstallation). So then the obvious second move was to reinstall the OS on the SSD. When I try to, it does not appear on list of available drives, but the HDD does.

Info:
1. The SSD is visible in the old HDD's win 7 partition and is NTFS formatted.
2. The SSD is visible in BIOS and is in AHCI mode.
3. I tested putting the SSD in IDE mode, no luck.
4. I tried to load the drivers for the Marvell 88SE9172 which is the chipset for some of the SATA ports on the mobo (others are controlled by the x79 chipset). When I load the appropriate drivers I have to UNcheck the box, that says: "compatible with hardware on the system." I hit next, and it installs, but I still do NOT see the drive. When I load the 32bit version of that very same OS it appears on the compatible list, installs, but does not reveal the drive.
5. When I load the x79 64bit drivers, I get an odd error and both of my DVD drivers that I installed on the computer vanish from the list you use to browse for drivers and I have to restart the PC to see them again.
6. The SSD is plugged into one of the Marvell SATA ports.

Any ideas why this puppy ain't showin'?

I have the same Barracuda SSD and the ud3 from gigabyte and im having the same problem, i need help. Its very frustrating.
m
l
April 14, 2012 10:31:39 PM

I have the fortune of owning 2 of the SSDs. I put the second 1 in, and it showed up on the list. I installed windows on it, and once that process was done it blue screened immediately. I figured it was a bad win7 install, so I went to reinstall it and it's not there anymore :[.
m
l
!