Win7 Installation Issue: Drive Not Visible

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
So you're probably thinkin' : "Dear lord, another one of these posts." But I feel as though my situation may be unique.

Mobo: GA-X79-UD3
SSD: Adata S511
HDD: Seagate Barracuda

So I built a PC for my friend and used a HDD from his older computer that has windows 7 on it. The build went great, booted up into the HDD that had win7 on it and I flashed the BIOS (update that would stay post-OS reinstallation). So then the obvious second move was to reinstall the OS on the SSD. When I try to, it does not appear on list of available drives, but the HDD does.

Info:
1. The SSD is visible in the old HDD's win 7 partition and is NTFS formatted.
2. The SSD is visible in BIOS and is in AHCI mode.
3. I tested putting the SSD in IDE mode, no luck.
4. I tried to load the drivers for the Marvell 88SE9172 which is the chipset for some of the SATA ports on the mobo (others are controlled by the x79 chipset). When I load the appropriate drivers I have to UNcheck the box, that says: "compatible with hardware on the system." I hit next, and it installs, but I still do NOT see the drive. When I load the 32bit version of that very same OS it appears on the compatible list, installs, but does not reveal the drive.
5. When I load the x79 64bit drivers, I get an odd error and both of my DVD drivers that I installed on the computer vanish from the list you use to browse for drivers and I have to restart the PC to see them again.
6. The SSD is plugged into one of the Marvell SATA ports.

Any ideas why this puppy ain't showin'?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Definitely looks like a driver issue with the Marvell controller. That said, the solution is simple: Use the native X79 SATA III ports. Those are faster and better supported than the Marvell add-on ports.

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Just tried it. The SSD still doesn't show up. When I try to load the driver for 64bit windows for the x79 rev III ports, it gives me an error and says to go contact your manufacturer for other drivers. So I go here: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4050&dl=1#dl and grab the preinstall driver. It's the only x79 SATA driver. When I load that off of a flash drive in the OS installation menu it throws the same error. SSD is still not visible to the installer :(

Arksys

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

I have the same Barracuda SSD and the ud3 from gigabyte and im having the same problem, i need help. Its very frustrating.

Scooter92

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I have the fortune of owning 2 of the SSDs. I put the second 1 in, and it showed up on the list. I installed windows on it, and once that process was done it blue screened immediately. I figured it was a bad win7 install, so I went to reinstall it and it's not there anymore :[.