Sign in with
Your question

GTX 570 in sli HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2011 8:31:42 PM

Hi all,

i have a very short question and it sounds as following.

I'm going to purchase a new computer system with the following specs:

Processor: Core i7 2600k
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe (B3)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb kit 1600mhz
Videocard: MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr II OC (in sli)

aditional information:
The processor is going to be overclocked to about 4.7Ghz - 4.8Ghz. Aswell as you can see the videocards will be OC'd out of the box.

my question now is: what psu is recommended for me to use?
850watt?
950watt?
1000watt?
1200watt?

please don't link me stuff like the Guru3d website sinds they are giving the same psu req. for every sli setup.

i hope someone with a simular setup could respond to me.

Thanks in advance ice600

More about : gtx 570 sli

a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 8:34:03 PM

A 850-Watt to 1000 would be ideal.
February 21, 2011 8:58:44 PM

plznote said:
A 850-Watt to 1000 would be ideal.

thanks, do you maybe have an idea how much the following does req. aswell?

MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II SC with a GTX 460 SC for physics?

for the other parts, same system specs

i know this is a totally different gpu setup but i really would like to know

thanks in advance
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 9:03:32 PM

Probably a 850W-950W would be fine for either setup. Anything 1000W or over is gross overkill.
a c 231 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 9:05:50 PM

Internet ate my 1st response.

1. nVidia lists many 750 watters as being adequate to support twin 570's in SLI. But, since they and the CPU will be overclocked, I'd go with a 1st tier 850 watt unit:

Antec SG-850
Antec CP-850 (CPX form factor requires compatible case)
Corsair AX850
Corsair HX850
Seasonic X-850
XFX Black Edition 850

Two of them (bolded) are $120 .... In the Antec DF-85 or other compatible cases, I use the CP-850, otherwise the XFX.

2. That RAM's tall heat sinks are going to severely limit your CPU cooling options. If anyone tells ya those heat sinks do anything other than "look cool", they have a solid future as a politician. These Corsairs will perform just as well

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If ya wanna spend the money saved not buying fancy looking heat sinks, then invest in lowe CAS latency and grab these CAS 7's, tho newegg's been having a problem keeping them in stock

3. Since you appear to be looking for every last bit of performance, consider the Asus WS revolution in lieu of the Deluxe. It's NF200 chip set will allow for both GFX cards to run at x16 x16 in SLI. All other boards (w/o an NF200) will run at x8 x8.
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 9:05:58 PM

^^ agreed. So few games use PhysX and the benefits while nice are not worth getting a dedicated card. Dual GTX 570s are plenty for both rending and PhysX effects simultaneously.
February 21, 2011 9:12:57 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Internet ate my 1st response.

1. nVidia lists many 750 watters as being adequate to support twin 570's in SLI. But, since they and the CPU will be overclocked, I'd go with a 1st tier 850 watt unit:

Antec SG-850
Antec CP-850 (CPX form factor requires compatible case)
Corsair AX850
Corsair HX850
Seasonic X-850
XFX Black Edition 850

Two of them (bolded) are $120 .... In the Antec DF-85 or other compatible cases, I use the CP-850, otherwise the XFX.

2. That RAM's tall heat sinks are going to severely limit your CPU cooling options. If anyone tells ya those heat sinks do anything other than "look cool", they have a solid future as a politician. These Corsairs will perform just as well

If ya wanna spend the money saved not buying fancy looking heat sinks, then invest in lowe CAS latency and grab these CAS 7's, tho newegg's been having a problem keeping them in stock

3. Since you appear to be looking for every last bit of performance, consider the Asus WS revolution in lieu of the Deluxe. It's NF200 chip set will allow for both GFX cards to run at x16 x16 in SLI. All other boards (w/o an NF200) will run at x8 x8.

1. my psu shouldn't be the problem then sinds i have the Thermaltake Thoughpower 850 watt

2. intel recommands 1.5v memory for their sandy bridge line thats also the reason why i choose this memory. i'm going to use my current cpu cooler again thermalright ultra-120 extreme (has a fan mounted on the memory side). so i'm not 100% sure if the fan will in the way for the memory or not.

3. the reason why i don't want the revolution is because of my sound card, it doesn't fit in the revolution because of the slots that board has to offer
February 21, 2011 9:13:45 PM

Quote:
Don't need to run a PhysX card with Fermi.

still have a gtx 460 lying around so it's not that i need to buy it or something :p 

however i could sell it aswell ofcourse
a c 166 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 10:04:36 PM

Two points:

1) Overclocking the CPU:
You should use the Task Manager to monitor your CPU usage while playing your games and overclock ONLY as needed. For example, if NONE of your cores ever reaches 100% then you have no need to overclock. You should only overclock until you see your cores ALMOST reaching the top. For example, if 4GHZ gets the job done why go to 4.7GHZ and add heat/noise and risk CPU failure?

2) PhysX card:
I definitely would NOT add a GTX 460 to a 2xGTX 570 setup. It would add heat/noise for one thing (the 460's run hot). I'm pretty sure you can get basically MAX QUALITY at 60FPS (you want constant 60FPS VSYNC'd usually) so if that's what you're getting then don't add the extra card.
February 21, 2011 10:09:26 PM

photonboy said:
Two points:

1) Overclocking the CPU:
You should use the Task Manager to monitor your CPU usage while playing your games and overclock ONLY as needed. For example, if NONE of your cores ever reaches 100% then you have no need to overclock. You should only overclock until you see your cores ALMOST reaching the top. For example, if 4GHZ gets the job done why go to 4.7GHZ and add heat/noise and risk CPU failure?

2) PhysX card:
I definitely would NOT add a GTX 460 to a 2xGTX 570 setup. It would add heat/noise for one thing (the 460's run hot). I'm pretty sure you can get basically MAX QUALITY at 60FPS (you want constant 60FPS VSYNC'd usually) so if that's what you're getting then don't add the extra card.

1. ehm my question wasn't really about overclocking or not.

2. aswell i wasn't talking about addin the 460 to a 570 sli setup but adding it to a 580.

aswell i'm not satisfied with 60 fps during games

i want to have atleast 75-100+ fps
a c 166 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 10:10:01 PM

PhysX Card:
I should also add you must be VERY CAREFUL not to screw up the PCIe bandwidth. For example, some slots are x16 but become x8 slots if you use one of the other slots FOR ANYTHING!

Basically you need both 570's to have DEDICATED x16 slots for each one to get proper bandwidth use.

Read the manually carefully if you still decide to add a third card (not recommended).
a c 166 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 10:21:49 PM

"i want to have atleast 75-100+ fps"

Flatscreen monitors have a MAXIMUM of 60FPS. They refresh at 60Hz and can ONLY display that number of frames per second. You can have the computer create 100FPS but it can only display 60FPS so it's simply a waste.

Additionally, when you don't synch the created frames to the displayed frames you get screen tearing. This is the purpose of VSYNC.

If you had an older CRT (tube) style you'd likely want between 75 and 100 depending on the monitor (85Hz was ideal on my awesome Viewsonic GS790).

3D's a different story. I assume 120Hz VSYNC is ideal.

Again, you really want most games to be running a CONSTANT 60Hz with VSYNC enabled in the game (or forced through RadeonPro).
a c 166 U Graphics card
February 21, 2011 10:24:52 PM

"Wrong Wrong Wrong.. There are no current cards that can even max out X8 bandwidth these days."

I believe testing showed that the HD5870 was very, very close to maxing out the x8 bandwidth.
!