Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual ati radeon hd 6850's crossfired, how to dual monitor?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2011 11:00:16 PM

like it says above i thought i read that you could be in crossfire and have 2 displays, i have one on dvi and the other is vga to dvi to dvi if that makes sense they work great if i don't have it crossfired but not when it is please help if you can ty
February 21, 2011 11:48:15 PM

What make and model of monitors are you using? Also, are they both connected directly to the primary GPU?
February 22, 2011 12:07:36 AM

both a gateway monitors one a 26" widescreen the other a plain jane 19", i tried connecting both to primary gpu and then one to each on top dvi connection points.

neither worked sadly so i pulled the crossfire off and now i have 2 monitors working but is kinda sad was hoping to have that extra umphh when gaming with just one monitor lol

thanks for the reply
Related resources
February 22, 2011 12:26:41 AM

They have to both be using the same card(usally the top one).Then you have to setup the eyefinity in CCC.If your not using eyefinity you can still set it up through CCC but i find it easier just to do it thru windows.
February 22, 2011 12:34:23 PM

purple stank said:
They have to both be using the same card(usally the top one).Then you have to setup the eyefinity in CCC.If your not using eyefinity you can still set it up through CCC but i find it easier just to do it thru windows.

+1. This is true Both need to be connected to the same GPU. You can definitely CF and have 2 monitors. You can't run eyefinity unless they are of the same resolution, but that is not a requirement to have 2 monitors.

With your 26", I assume you are connecting to it via DVI. I also assume that you are using a DVI-VGA adapter to connect to your 19". Are these assumptions correct? Does your second monitor (19") support DVI? If so, you should use it. If not, it is a moot point.

When both monitors are connected to a single GPU, what happens? Does only the primary display work and not the second one?
February 22, 2011 8:32:06 PM

Technially you can use any size monitor for eyefinity but they have to be the same resoultion.In the case that one of the monitors are bigger in resoultion than the other it will be resized to fit the smaller one.

He's proabably just having some problems trying to set it up in windows.Probably should write down some steps on what/how to set it up.
March 2, 2011 11:37:13 PM

2 cards both ati 6850's
26= monitor hooked up to first dvi connection point as dvi to dvi

19=monitor hooked up to second dvi/vga connection or first dvi/vga second card

no dual monitor support for crossfired 6850's is what i've read since last posting this which pisses me off lol i shoulda just gotten a better video card and just had once card two monitors.

dvi/vga = dvi/vga dongle and yes the 19"works great with it connected on the second card with no crossfire connection.

thank you all again,

Rick

I don't think it's possible to have dual monitors in crossfire mode but i could be wrong.
March 2, 2011 11:39:32 PM

All the monitors have to be connected to one GPU only.

Best solution

March 3, 2011 1:08:20 AM

bowentwo said:
2 cards both ati 6850's
26= monitor hooked up to first dvi connection point as dvi to dvi

19=monitor hooked up to second dvi/vga connection or first dvi/vga second card

no dual monitor support for crossfired 6850's is what i've read since last posting this which pisses me off lol i shoulda just gotten a better video card and just had once card two monitors.

dvi/vga = dvi/vga dongle and yes the 19"works great with it connected on the second card with no crossfire connection.

thank you all again,

Rick

I don't think it's possible to have dual monitors in crossfire mode but i could be wrong.

You can definitely do dual monitors in CF. Not an issue, but both MUST be connected to the same video card. BTW, if your 19" monitor supports DVI, you should get a DVI cable and do away with the VGA adapter.
March 13, 2011 9:42:55 PM

Best answer selected by bowentwo.
July 15, 2011 2:04:24 AM

This doesn't make any sense how am I supposed to get two monitors to wok on a radeon hd 6850 video card? I can't find anything on the internet or otherwise that says how to do this.
July 15, 2011 2:48:35 AM

It's rather simple, plug both monitors into the same video card, but you can't use two monitors on the same card if one uses an HDMI plug for some reason (might be related to it delivering sound as well).
July 15, 2011 6:26:20 AM

I'm not using the HDMI plug I'm just using the two DVI-I. I installed the newest drivers and restarted but I click refresh on my AMD VISION Engine Control Center but it wont detect any more than one display (the bottom plugin). I've tried switching two monitors and they both work bt only when plugged into the bottom plug.
July 15, 2011 5:01:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!