upgrading mini pci 10/100 nic to 802.11

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 6:11:38 PM

This may sound crazy <?>, but I was wondering if it was possible to
upgrade my internal mini pci ethernet nic (or my 56k mini pci modem) by
replacing it with a 802.11b/g wifi mini-pci card on my 4 year old
laptop? Does anybody have any experience with this? Ebay has a bunch
of mini pci wifi cards at very reasonable prices. I am also willing to
rig an antenna to my laptop.

I know I could just get a new wifi PCMCIA card.. but that doesn't work
for me because my PCMCIA slot intermittently supplies power to the
cards I have tried.
I could also get a USB wifi stick.. but the ones I have tried overheat
after a few minutes of light use.

Thanks!
--Fritz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 6, 2005 9:55:33 PM

wildnml@yahoo.com wrote:

>This may sound crazy <?>, but I was wondering if it was possible to
>upgrade my internal mini pci ethernet nic (or my 56k mini pci modem) by
>replacing it with a 802.11b/g wifi mini-pci card on my 4 year old
>laptop? Does anybody have any experience with this? Ebay has a bunch
>of mini pci wifi cards at very reasonable prices. I am also willing to
>rig an antenna to my laptop.
>
>I know I could just get a new wifi PCMCIA card.. but that doesn't work
>for me because my PCMCIA slot intermittently supplies power to the
>cards I have tried.
>I could also get a USB wifi stick.. but the ones I have tried overheat
>after a few minutes of light use.
>
>Thanks!
>--Fritz

I don't know. Any mini-pci slot should accept a mini-pci wireless card.
The mini-pci wireless cards have a very small 'snap on' connector to the
antenna. Don't know where you would find a suitable antenna [I wouldn't
mind getting an 802.11a antenna to add to mine].
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2005 6:24:20 AM

This is probably not a good idea because an internal WiFi installation
has some wiring components that your system is probably missing, in
particular the antenna system.

!