New Computer Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohiii

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I just purchased an HP desktop and while it provided great bang for the buck, I am somewhat shocked at the power supply - only 250 watts...

The system is a Quad core AMD, 3.0Ghz, 4G of RAM, 750G HD, etc. Not surprisngly, the graphics card (such as it is) sucks. I have an older GeForce 8600 GT (average, I know) that I would like to swap in but wonder if the PS can handle it?

I also have an Antec 380W PS from my just-died machine that I will likely cannibalize but was hoping to get at least some mileage out of the HP unit, since it's brand new...

Thoughts on the HP 250W unit?

Thx. :sol:

Solution
HP only uses a PSU that is the correct amount for the system as sold -- once you add something like a video card then you'll probably need to also replace the PSU. Nvidia recommends a minimum 350W PSU for the card so it would be pushing it to use the 250W ( depending on which quad core - since they vary from about 95W to 125W ) This Power consumption chart
pw%20consump.png

shows the system using 198 under load with a 65w E6600 cpu So add another 30 - 60W to that for the quad core CPU and you'd really be pushing a 250W PSU so I wouldn't chance it.
HP only uses a PSU that is the correct amount for the system as sold -- once you add something like a video card then you'll probably need to also replace the PSU. Nvidia recommends a minimum 350W PSU for the card so it would be pushing it to use the 250W ( depending on which quad core - since they vary from about 95W to 125W ) This Power consumption chart
pw%20consump.png

shows the system using 198 under load with a 65w E6600 cpu So add another 30 - 60W to that for the quad core CPU and you'd really be pushing a 250W PSU so I wouldn't chance it.

Solution

rohiii

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Thanks all, good info...cool forum.

What amazes me about the HP is that even my 2005 Dell Dimension 510 (?) (with much lower initial specs) came with a 300W unit...though that crapped out after 3-4 years :-(

About the only thing I can say in favor of the HP (in the PS :sol: area) is that is also has a separate fan to cool the box itself, in addition to the PS. The Dell did not have this...

Status
Not open for further replies.