What are the different tips of motherboards and which is best performance and sp

neon_bowser89

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
I'm looking to build a gaming computer and I wanted to know how to choose my motherboard. I an looking for something that was recently released for Ivy Bridge and know there are ATX's, mini ITX's and micro ATX's. I'd like to know the difference other than size and if there are other ones. And assuming I have a full tower case and money isn't an issue with is the best kind for me to get.

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
There are also extended ATX and I think there's another one.
The problem with small motherboards is obviously the lack of space. If you want to put a good CPU cooler you might block say a RAM slot. Or you might not be able to crossfire/sli. They also lack some slots (mostly SATA I believe).
So if money is not an issue get an extended ATX or a standard ATX.

Next there the socket. That's where the CPU goes. If you want Ivy Bridge either go with a 1155 socket or 2011. I don't know anything about 2011 sockets so I'll leave that to someone who knows.

Now you have to chose the chipset. You said money isn't an issue then just get a Z68 chipset. Lot's of brands make motherboards with this chipset just pick the one you like the most. They will all have minor differences between them tho.

Also remember that CPU's are not compatible between sockets (a 775 CPU will not fit a 1155)however there are some exceptions. Also when you swap motherboards you will have to format and reinstall OS