Sign in with
Your question

Issue getting XFX HD5770 to work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2011 2:36:58 AM

Hello,

I have a system sutup running an Intel DP55KG with the new BIOS 5921, 4 X 2GB Corsair paired memory and a Zalman 850W PSU. If I use a low grade GPU (EVGA 9800GTX)the system runs fine, but when I install the XFX HD5770 I get the well known E6 error code. I have cleared the CMOS but I still get the E6 code. Does anyone have this configuration running and how did you get the video card to work?

More about : issue xfx hd5770 work

February 22, 2011 3:42:13 PM

Make sure that both your 24-pin (main) and 4/8-pin (aux) power connectors are firmly connected to the motherboard. Also, verify that your PCI-E 6-pin connector(s) are firmly attached to the GPU and try again. Push all connectors in until the retaining clip "clicks" into place.

Good luck!
m
l
February 22, 2011 5:04:40 PM

sorry i don't have the answer directly, but i cannot see power as an issue considering the 5770 uses far less wattage than a 9800GTX does.
I run an HD5770 1GB ddr5 with a Corsair 650w with no issues. See sig :) 

I guess it could be one of those Intel/Ati/Versions of drivers/firmware compatibility issues?? :( 

*ok i think i fixed my sig now
m
l
Related resources
February 22, 2011 5:46:17 PM

sapreaper said:
sorry i don't have the answer directly, but i cannot see power as an issue considering the 5770 uses far less wattage than a 9800GTX does.
I run an HD5770 1GB ddr5 with a Corsair 650w with no issues. See sig :) 

I guess it could be one of those Intel/Ati/Versions of drivers/firmware compatibility issues?? :( 

*ok i think i fixed my sig now

If the mobo isn't providing adequate power to the PCI-E bus, then the GPU will not perform properly. Thus, the recommendation to check it. This is most likely NOT an issue of driver/hardware compatibility.
m
l
February 22, 2011 5:58:08 PM

COLGeek said:
If the mobo isn't providing adequate power to the PCI-E bus, then the GPU will not perform properly. Thus, the recommendation to check it. This is most likely NOT an issue of driver/hardware compatibility.

understood.
it would just be odd that it is only occurring with the card that takes less power. I would say the card itself may just have an issue then. That is the only component that changed.
m
l
February 24, 2011 4:39:33 AM

I have reseated the power connectors and the ploblem still exist. I went out and purchased a Saphire HD 5770 1GB DDR5 video card and the same error happens. I can understand the possible firware compatability issue but I have used a different system D945GPM to load the latest firmware on the GPU and the mobo has the latest BIOS loaded. So I am still lost on this issue. It is really strange the the card works on an older modo and not the DP55KG.
m
l
February 24, 2011 10:09:36 AM

There should be no firewire issue here at all, so now I am confused as well. Did you also perform a firmware upgrade on the GPU? Who told you to do that? You are right, this one is odd.
m
l
February 24, 2011 1:58:53 PM

It was suggested in a previous thread to check for firmware compatability. I figured at this point I would try anything to make this work, so I updated the firmware on the video card. I had to update the BIOS anyway to get all 4 sticks (8GB) of memory to work. It was also suggested there may be a power issue but the other system this card works on only uses a 360W PSU with a Pentium D 960 3.6GHz dual core and 4GB memory. This system I am trying to get to work has a much larger PSU so the lack of power is not an issue.
m
l
February 24, 2011 2:15:39 PM

Okay, I think I understand some of this.

1. You have updated the BIOS on your motherboard to get all of the memory to (8GB) to work properly. Are you using the version dated 30 JAN 2011? Link below.
2. The firewire thing is not relevant regardless of what another thread may have indicated.
3. You also updated the firmware on the video card. Where did you get this firmware?
4. Which PCI-E slot are you installing the video card into?

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpbo...
m
l
February 24, 2011 2:44:25 PM

just to clear something up, i don't think the OP ever meant firewire anything, it looks like he is saying "FIRMWARE" :) 
m
l
February 24, 2011 2:46:47 PM

sapreaper said:
just to clear something up, i don't think the OP ever meant firewire anything, it looks like he is saying "FIRMWARE" :) 

You may indeed be correct! Old man eyes make for interesting days.....
m
l
February 24, 2011 2:52:12 PM

lol. well also if you read it fast, the first misspell is easy to mistake for firewire :) 
anyway, i thought i read somewhere that certain Intel chipsets have some issues with ATI video cards. The E6 error happens in POST i assume? So we cannot even blame an Intel chipset driver. :-/
m
l
February 24, 2011 3:12:42 PM

This is a current mobo and chipset so there is no issue with a modern ATI GPU. Must be something else.

Thanks for the humor and understanding on the eyes/reading. [8-)
m
l
February 24, 2011 3:27:05 PM

Answer to questions

1) I got the latest BIOS from Intel version 5921
2) I got the firmware from my account on the XFX website

What I am starting to think that this is a video card memory compatability issue. Here is what works and what doesn't work

1) ASUS ATI HD4350 with 512MB RAM - works
2) eVGA GeForce 9800GT with 512MB RAM - works
3) XFX ATI HD 5770 with 1GB RAM - error code E6 (fails)
4) Sapphire ATI HD 5770 with 1GB RAM - error code E6 (fails)

Just a thought.....
m
l
February 24, 2011 3:29:03 PM

Sorry the last question was the slot location it is inserted in the primary PCI-E x16 slot. It is the only x16 slot available on this mobo
m
l
February 24, 2011 4:30:45 PM

Understood on all. Video card compatibility has nothing to do with motherboard compatibility. They are separate and distinct things. Try this as an experiment. Insert the GPU into the x8 slot and see if it will boot.

Also, switch PCI-E power cables (your PSU should have at least 2 of them). I would also suggest clearing the BIOS and setting to its default config as well
m
l
February 24, 2011 10:05:36 PM

Okay here is what I did

1) switch the PCI-E power cable with a secondary one. On the Zalman all the cables are modular except for the main power and one of the PCI-E cables so I inserted the secondary PCI-E cable and plugged that into the video card and got the same error.

2) Moved the video card to another x8 slot and got a new error code E7

3) Cleared the CMOS and powered the system up again and got the same error code E7

4) Cleared the CMOS and move the video card back to the x16 slot and powered and got the previous error code E6

I put the eVGA GeForce 9800 GT back into x16 and the system came up
m
l
February 24, 2011 10:24:23 PM

chcardin said:
Okay here is what I did

1) switch the PCI-E power cable with a secondary one. On the Zalman all the cables are modular except for the main power and one of the PCI-E cables so I inserted the secondary PCI-E cable and plugged that into the video card and got the same error.

2) Moved the video card to another x8 slot and got a new error code E7

3) Cleared the CMOS and powered the system up again and got the same error code E7

4) Cleared the CMOS and move the video card back to the x16 slot and powered and got the previous error code E6

I put the eVGA GeForce 9800 GT back into x16 and the system came up

Good job being thorough. Have you contacted Tech Support at Intel? This is beyond bizarre at this point. Common GPU in a current motherboard with a common chipset.

Have you tried installing the 5770 with only 4GB as an experiment?
m
l
February 24, 2011 10:40:49 PM

Yes I have had extensive conversations with Intel Tech support and they say it is not the mobo they say it is the Video card even after I tell them the XFX has been replaced twice and I have tried another vendor Sapphire they still refuse to except it could be the mobo. They also said the 4 sticks of 2GB memory should work too but it was not until I loaded BIOS 5893 I could do that. So I am not feeling to good about the Intel product line at this time.
m
l
February 24, 2011 10:42:36 PM

To your last question I have stripped the modo to the bare minimum 2 X 2GB RAM and no other adapters just the video card and get the same error.
m
l
February 25, 2011 12:00:59 AM

My friend, I have never seen anything like this and know of no known incompatibility issues here. Intel's response is simply irresponsible and simply can't be true (that this is a GPU issue). Too many Intel boards out there with ATI GPUs and the 5770 is one of the most popular. Do you have the option to return the mobo?
m
l
February 25, 2011 12:57:05 AM

I afraid not. I can push Intel to rework the mobo because it still under warranty but there is no way I can not get this returned.
m
l
February 25, 2011 1:15:58 AM

Do you know anyone with a 5770 (1GB) or better GPU that you could swap for troubleshooting purposes with?

Does you mobo BIOS have any specific GPU/video related options?

I am out of ideas and I tend to lean towards an issue with the mobo as you have seen the GPU work in other systems (when you flashed the BIOS).
m
l
February 25, 2011 4:13:05 AM

Well what I need is someone with this mobo and a video card that matches mine. I have two of these HD 5770 cards. I was hoping someone would come fourth and say they have this configuration working and if anything what they did to make it work. Well back to hunt to find the answer. I am about to swap it out with a eVGA classified 200 mobo, but it sure has tainted my feelings about Intel.
m
l
February 25, 2011 9:03:18 AM

my bet is something to do with the EFI the board runs. I have never used a board with EFI. can you turn it off? and use normal BIOS setup? or some BIOS/EFI compatibility mode? I would try look into those things because i guarantee, from a quick search, the EFI is the issue.
m
l
February 25, 2011 2:14:05 PM

Okay I did some investigation and this model Intel board impliments UEFI and that feature is disabled on this board. I also discovered that all my Intel DP55 series will not support this level of video card. I tried both the XFX HD5770 and the Sapphire HD5770 on the following system boards

DP55KG
DP55WG
DP55WB

and non of them would pass post, so this make it even more strange
m
l
February 25, 2011 2:32:44 PM

chcardin said:
Okay I did some investigation and this model Intel board impliments UEFI and that feature is disabled on this board. I also discovered that all my Intel DP55 series will not support this level of video card. I tried both the XFX HD5770 and the Sapphire HD5770 on the following system boards

DP55KG
DP55WG
DP55WB

and non of them would pass post, so this make it even more strange

This is truly bizarre. Thanks for your diligence. I can't believe that Intel would allow mainstream mobos to be released with such a limitation. Something just isn't right here. Good luck, my friend!
m
l
February 25, 2011 2:40:55 PM

You know, this is truly odd. I looked at user feedback for all 3 models chcardin listed at Newegg and saw nothing that would indicate this problem. There were several complaints regarding quality issues, but not any that I saw regarding GPUs. Many listed GPUs that had 1GB (or more) and seemed to work.

This is a mystery to me.
m
l
February 25, 2011 9:22:54 PM

maybe just forget it, its probably some incompatability with 5770's that they havnt fixed. Just return the cards get a nvidia gts450 and see if that works.
m
l
!