Quick step-by-step how-to on CPU upgrade

This may seem like a dumb question, but I went through the stickies and couldn't find anything.

I am about to pull the trigger and perform a CPU upgrade. Will someone please have a look at this and see if I've missed anything?

1) Upgrade BIOS to latest version (already done)
2) Power off and unplug system
3) Remove heatsink and old CPU
4) Reset BIOS via the CMOS battery & jumper (recommended by the Asus forums)
5) Install new CPU and replace heatsink (boxed CPU so the thermal compound should be pre-applied)
6) Plug system in, power up and hope for the best

Any other tips or suggestions?

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
In step 5, remember to plug in the CPU fan power plug.
And in step 6, it's recommended to offer a burnt offering to the gods.

Other than that, you're good.

Ooohhh good one... Forget the CPU fan, and the chip becomes the burnt offering... :lol:

Will do, thanks!

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Is there an option in your BIOS to save the current setting as default or something similar?
Cause redoing all the BIOS settings after flashing the new BIOS version is such a hassle.

So...

Step 7) Set BIOS settings.

It was nerve-wracking, I can tell you! Thankfully, I made an ill-advised attempt to overclock my old Athlon 64 X2 a few months ago. That's when I learned that a BIOS reset somehow requires me to remove and reset the GPU as well. So I pulled the GPU, and got a sweet "beep" from the system!

The X4 645 is an amazing CPU for the price. It's winter here atm, and all four cores idle at under 20C. I pushed it really hard running a few benchmarks, and it never exceeded 38C. I'm really impressed!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support.