Finally finished Duke Nukem Advance!

Last response: in Video Games
April 29, 2004 2:45:08 PM

OK, I'm basically a PC gamer. And more specifically, a long time FPS lover
(until a recent love of RPG's started) ...

I only have a GBA SP as a fun occasional play. But I love Duke Nukem, so
imagine that I got stuck badly ... at the first boss! I hadn't touched the
game in months! I finally just banged at it (something about being used to
circle strafing a boss and just not being efficient with the GBA controls)
and got past it! Since then, getting through the rest has gone pretty
quickly, with only a few deaths. I finished it tpday!

Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play them on
the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.

What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?

Thanks,

Mike
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 11:38:09 PM

In article <c6r4hd$fhp7n$1@ID-102346.news.uni-berlin.de>,
txa1265@hotmail.com says...
> OK, I'm basically a PC gamer. And more specifically, a long time FPS lover
> (until a recent love of RPG's started) ...
>
> I only have a GBA SP as a fun occasional play. But I love Duke Nukem, so
> imagine that I got stuck badly ... at the first boss! I hadn't touched the
> game in months! I finally just banged at it (something about being used to
> circle strafing a boss and just not being efficient with the GBA controls)
> and got past it! Since then, getting through the rest has gone pretty
> quickly, with only a few deaths. I finished it tpday!

I'm having exactly the same problem! I remember when Duke saw the boss
on a security monitor he made a comment about throwing a pipe bomb party
for this guy, but I've never been able to find any pipe bombs. So it's
been gathering dust in my game bag for a couple months now. :(

Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since I
bought it.

> Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
> GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play them on
> the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.

Wish I could help, but Doom 2 and Wolf3d are the only other ones I have.
I really wish they'd come out with a version of Doom with entirely new
levels that I haven't already played to death, but I'm not holding my
breath.

> What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?

I hadn't even known it was out yet. A quick look at the forums over on
gamefaqs leads me to think it might be worth a look. The complaints I
saw were about the control being a bit touchy and about password saves.
Might be worth a look.

> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Hope I helped a bit.

-- Bob
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 10:28:20 AM

"Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
> I'm having exactly the same problem! I remember when Duke saw the boss
> on a security monitor he made a comment about throwing a pipe bomb party
> for this guy, but I've never been able to find any pipe bombs. So it's
> been gathering dust in my game bag for a couple months now. :(

I think that is a 'inconsistency' - you get the RPG, but not pipe bombs.
The trick seems to be negotiating the controls between the strafe and turn
to get out of the way of its' fire while landing your own.

> Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since I
> bought it.

I like that as well. I am playing as Aragorn, and am level 13 or something
now. I tried as Gandalf and kept dying in the tower ...

I like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance more, personally - that is my fave GBA
game. Much like NWN on your GBA.

> > Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
> > GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play
them on
> > the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.
> >

> Wish I could help, but Doom 2 and Wolf3d are the only other ones I have.
> I really wish they'd come out with a version of Doom with entirely new
> levels that I haven't already played to death, but I'm not holding my
> breath.

That's the thing - I love all of those games ... I loved them 8 - 10 years
ago when they all came out. I played the heck out of them back then, and
even more recently using the new 'DoomLegacy' type things. Why do I want
the *exact same thing* on my GBA? Dunno.

> > What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?
> >

> I hadn't even known it was out yet. A quick look at the forums over on
> gamefaqs leads me to think it might be worth a look. The complaints I
> saw were about the control being a bit touchy and about password saves.
> Might be worth a look.

And I was glad to see the 'Serious' pricing still holds!

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Hope I helped a bit.
>
> -- Bob
May 1, 2004 1:45:38 AM

In article <c6t9ru$fttg9$1@ID-102346.news.uni-berlin.de>,
txa1265@hotmail.com says...
> "Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
> > I'm having exactly the same problem! I remember when Duke saw the boss
> > on a security monitor he made a comment about throwing a pipe bomb party
> > for this guy, but I've never been able to find any pipe bombs. So it's
> > been gathering dust in my game bag for a couple months now. :(
> >

> I think that is a 'inconsistency' - you get the RPG, but not pipe bombs.

Hell, the RPG is BETTER than pipe bombs! Where the heck did you find it?
All I had was my pistol and shotgun.

> The trick seems to be negotiating the controls between the strafe and turn
> to get out of the way of its' fire while landing your own.

My biggest flaw as a FPS player is that I can't strafe worth a damn. At
least not on the computer. It's easier on consoles but sometimes I have
problems on the GBA because it can be hard to manipulate all the controls
in the frantic way a FPS requires without dropping the damn thing.
That's one reason most of my playtime goes into games like ROTK.

> > Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since I
> > bought it.
> >

> I like that as well. I am playing as Aragorn, and am level 13 or something
> now. I tried as Gandalf and kept dying in the tower ...

The best solution I found for this was to unlock Moria (2000 kills with
any character does it) and train my new characters there. The trick is
to lure orcs to come down the pillars one at a time and kill them
individually. Only the brown ones, not those damn lime-green ones. Once
you run out of brown ones (or a lime-green one shows up) it's time to
save and restart the level. It's very slow going at first but before too
long you'll have built up enough to clear out the whole level. By the
time you're up to level 10 or so you should be able to fight your way all
the way through Moria, and probably end up around level 14 with some
decent skills and equipment. Do this with Gandalf and you will probably
have Saruman for breakfast. :)

> I like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance more, personally - that is my fave GBA
> game. Much like NWN on your GBA.
>
> > > Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
> > > GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play
> them on
> > > the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.
> > >

> > Wish I could help, but Doom 2 and Wolf3d are the only other ones I have.
> > I really wish they'd come out with a version of Doom with entirely new
> > levels that I haven't already played to death, but I'm not holding my
> > breath.
>
> That's the thing - I love all of those games ... I loved them 8 - 10 years
> ago when they all came out. I played the heck out of them back then, and
> even more recently using the new 'DoomLegacy' type things. Why do I want
> the *exact same thing* on my GBA? Dunno.

Novelty. But really, once that wears off I only pop it in the machine
and play a couple levels mostly for old times' sake.

One thing I've considered is getting a GP32. Someone made a Doom port
for it and apparently it can play at least some pwads. But since my
means are very limited I'm not buying another console of any kind until I
see what the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP are like. Still, I doubt either
will be able to play Doom pwads...

> > > What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?
> > >

> > I hadn't even known it was out yet. A quick look at the forums over on
> > gamefaqs leads me to think it might be worth a look. The complaints I
> > saw were about the control being a bit touchy and about password saves.
> > Might be worth a look.
>
> And I was glad to see the 'Serious' pricing still holds!

You might want to try a rental first. I read a couple reviews since my
last post and they agreed that the controls are a real pain in the butt
because not only are they touchy but the engine is a bit much for the GBA
so there's often a brief lag that makes aiming a lot more difficult. It
doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy but you might feel differently.
Just thought I'd throw in a friendly warning about it.

> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >

> > Hope I helped a bit.
> >
> > -- Bob

-- Bob
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 1:10:17 PM

> > I think that is a 'inconsistency' - you get the RPG, but not pipe bombs.
>
> Hell, the RPG is BETTER than pipe bombs! Where the heck did you find it?
> All I had was my pistol and shotgun.

In the very middle of that circle room with the boss - I found it the first
time by accident as I ran like a fool to my death ;)

> > The trick seems to be negotiating the controls between the strafe and
turn
> > to get out of the way of its' fire while landing your own.
> >

> My biggest flaw as a FPS player is that I can't strafe worth a damn. At
> least not on the computer. It's easier on consoles but sometimes I have
> problems on the GBA because it can be hard to manipulate all the controls
> in the frantic way a FPS requires without dropping the damn thing.
> That's one reason most of my playtime goes into games like ROTK.

I am a very proficient FPS gamer on the PC. It is a different thing on the
GBA, though.

> > > Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since
> > > bought it.
> > >

> > I like that as well. I am playing as Aragorn, and am level 13 or
something
> > now. I tried as Gandalf and kept dying in the tower ...
> >

> The best solution I found for this was to unlock Moria (2000 kills with
> any character does it) and train my new characters there. The trick is

I had heard something about unlocking Moria ... but didn't know how to do
it. I'm probably pretty close with my Aragorn run-through ... maybe I'll
try.

> > And I was glad to see the 'Serious' pricing still holds!
> >

> You might want to try a rental first. I read a couple reviews since my
> last post and they agreed that the controls are a real pain in the butt
> because not only are they touchy but the engine is a bit much for the GBA
> so there's often a brief lag that makes aiming a lot more difficult. It
> doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy but you might feel differently.
> Just thought I'd throw in a friendly warning about it.

Haven't heard good things ... if it is not just all-out fun like the PC
version I'll hold my $20.

Mike
!