Finally finished Duke Nukem Advance!

OK, I'm basically a PC gamer. And more specifically, a long time FPS lover
(until a recent love of RPG's started) ...

I only have a GBA SP as a fun occasional play. But I love Duke Nukem, so
imagine that I got stuck badly ... at the first boss! I hadn't touched the
game in months! I finally just banged at it (something about being used to
circle strafing a boss and just not being efficient with the GBA controls)
and got past it! Since then, getting through the rest has gone pretty
quickly, with only a few deaths. I finished it tpday!

Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play them on
the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.

What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?

Thanks,

Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about finally finished duke nukem advance

    In article <c6r4hd$fhp7n$1@ID-102346.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    txa1265@hotmail.com says...
    > OK, I'm basically a PC gamer. And more specifically, a long time FPS lover
    > (until a recent love of RPG's started) ...
    >
    > I only have a GBA SP as a fun occasional play. But I love Duke Nukem, so
    > imagine that I got stuck badly ... at the first boss! I hadn't touched the
    > game in months! I finally just banged at it (something about being used to
    > circle strafing a boss and just not being efficient with the GBA controls)
    > and got past it! Since then, getting through the rest has gone pretty
    > quickly, with only a few deaths. I finished it tpday!

    I'm having exactly the same problem! I remember when Duke saw the boss
    on a security monitor he made a comment about throwing a pipe bomb party
    for this guy, but I've never been able to find any pipe bombs. So it's
    been gathering dust in my game bag for a couple months now. :(

    Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since I
    bought it.

    > Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
    > GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play them on
    > the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.

    Wish I could help, but Doom 2 and Wolf3d are the only other ones I have.
    I really wish they'd come out with a version of Doom with entirely new
    levels that I haven't already played to death, but I'm not holding my
    breath.

    > What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?

    I hadn't even known it was out yet. A quick look at the forums over on
    gamefaqs leads me to think it might be worth a look. The complaints I
    saw were about the control being a bit touchy and about password saves.
    Might be worth a look.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Hope I helped a bit.

    -- Bob

    "Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
    > I'm having exactly the same problem! I remember when Duke saw the boss
    > on a security monitor he made a comment about throwing a pipe bomb party
    > for this guy, but I've never been able to find any pipe bombs. So it's
    > been gathering dust in my game bag for a couple months now. :(

    I think that is a 'inconsistency' - you get the RPG, but not pipe bombs.
    The trick seems to be negotiating the controls between the strafe and turn
    to get out of the way of its' fire while landing your own.

    > Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since I
    > bought it.

    I like that as well. I am playing as Aragorn, and am level 13 or something
    now. I tried as Gandalf and kept dying in the tower ...

    I like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance more, personally - that is my fave GBA
    game. Much like NWN on your GBA.

    > > Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
    > > GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play
    them on
    > > the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.
    > >

    > Wish I could help, but Doom 2 and Wolf3d are the only other ones I have.
    > I really wish they'd come out with a version of Doom with entirely new
    > levels that I haven't already played to death, but I'm not holding my
    > breath.

    That's the thing - I love all of those games ... I loved them 8 - 10 years
    ago when they all came out. I played the heck out of them back then, and
    even more recently using the new 'DoomLegacy' type things. Why do I want
    the *exact same thing* on my GBA? Dunno.

    > > What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?
    > >

    > I hadn't even known it was out yet. A quick look at the forums over on
    > gamefaqs leads me to think it might be worth a look. The complaints I
    > saw were about the control being a bit touchy and about password saves.
    > Might be worth a look.

    And I was glad to see the 'Serious' pricing still holds!

    In article <c6t9ru$fttg9$1@ID-102346.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    txa1265@hotmail.com says...
    > "Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
    > > I'm having exactly the same problem! I remember when Duke saw the boss
    > > on a security monitor he made a comment about throwing a pipe bomb party
    > > for this guy, but I've never been able to find any pipe bombs. So it's
    > > been gathering dust in my game bag for a couple months now. :(
    > >

    > I think that is a 'inconsistency' - you get the RPG, but not pipe bombs.

    Hell, the RPG is BETTER than pipe bombs! Where the heck did you find it?
    All I had was my pistol and shotgun.

    > The trick seems to be negotiating the controls between the strafe and turn
    > to get out of the way of its' fire while landing your own.

    My biggest flaw as a FPS player is that I can't strafe worth a damn. At
    least not on the computer. It's easier on consoles but sometimes I have
    problems on the GBA because it can be hard to manipulate all the controls
    in the frantic way a FPS requires without dropping the damn thing.
    That's one reason most of my playtime goes into games like ROTK.

    > > Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since I
    > > bought it.
    > >

    > I like that as well. I am playing as Aragorn, and am level 13 or something
    > now. I tried as Gandalf and kept dying in the tower ...

    The best solution I found for this was to unlock Moria (2000 kills with
    any character does it) and train my new characters there. The trick is
    to lure orcs to come down the pillars one at a time and kill them
    individually. Only the brown ones, not those damn lime-green ones. Once
    you run out of brown ones (or a lime-green one shows up) it's time to
    save and restart the level. It's very slow going at first but before too
    long you'll have built up enough to clear out the whole level. By the
    time you're up to level 10 or so you should be able to fight your way all
    the way through Moria, and probably end up around level 14 with some
    decent skills and equipment. Do this with Gandalf and you will probably
    have Saruman for breakfast. :)

    > I like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance more, personally - that is my fave GBA
    > game. Much like NWN on your GBA.
    >
    > > > Anyway, does anyone have other recommendations for FPS-ish games for the
    > > > GBA. Had Doom, no interest in that again or Doom II (can still play
    > them on
    > > > the PC using 'Doom Legacy'), also have Ecks vs. Sever.
    > > >

    > > Wish I could help, but Doom 2 and Wolf3d are the only other ones I have.
    > > I really wish they'd come out with a version of Doom with entirely new
    > > levels that I haven't already played to death, but I'm not holding my
    > > breath.
    >
    > That's the thing - I love all of those games ... I loved them 8 - 10 years
    > ago when they all came out. I played the heck out of them back then, and
    > even more recently using the new 'DoomLegacy' type things. Why do I want
    > the *exact same thing* on my GBA? Dunno.

    Novelty. But really, once that wears off I only pop it in the machine
    and play a couple levels mostly for old times' sake.

    One thing I've considered is getting a GP32. Someone made a Doom port
    for it and apparently it can play at least some pwads. But since my
    means are very limited I'm not buying another console of any kind until I
    see what the Nintendo DS and Sony PSP are like. Still, I doubt either
    will be able to play Doom pwads...

    > > > What about Serious Sam? Anyone try that yet?
    > > >

    > > I hadn't even known it was out yet. A quick look at the forums over on
    > > gamefaqs leads me to think it might be worth a look. The complaints I
    > > saw were about the control being a bit touchy and about password saves.
    > > Might be worth a look.
    >
    > And I was glad to see the 'Serious' pricing still holds!

    You might want to try a rental first. I read a couple reviews since my
    last post and they agreed that the controls are a real pain in the butt
    because not only are they touchy but the engine is a bit much for the GBA
    so there's often a brief lag that makes aiming a lot more difficult. It
    doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy but you might feel differently.
    Just thought I'd throw in a friendly warning about it.

    > > I think that is a 'inconsistency' - you get the RPG, but not pipe bombs.
    >
    > Hell, the RPG is BETTER than pipe bombs! Where the heck did you find it?
    > All I had was my pistol and shotgun.

    In the very middle of that circle room with the boss - I found it the first
    time by accident as I ran like a fool to my death ;)

    > > The trick seems to be negotiating the controls between the strafe and
    turn
    > > to get out of the way of its' fire while landing your own.
    > >

    > My biggest flaw as a FPS player is that I can't strafe worth a damn. At
    > least not on the computer. It's easier on consoles but sometimes I have
    > problems on the GBA because it can be hard to manipulate all the controls
    > in the frantic way a FPS requires without dropping the damn thing.
    > That's one reason most of my playtime goes into games like ROTK.

    I am a very proficient FPS gamer on the PC. It is a different thing on the
    GBA, though.

    > > > Actually, Return of the King pretty much owns my GBA now and has since
    > > > bought it.
    > > >

    > > I like that as well. I am playing as Aragorn, and am level 13 or
    something
    > > now. I tried as Gandalf and kept dying in the tower ...
    > >

    > The best solution I found for this was to unlock Moria (2000 kills with
    > any character does it) and train my new characters there. The trick is

    I had heard something about unlocking Moria ... but didn't know how to do
    it. I'm probably pretty close with my Aragorn run-through ... maybe I'll
    try.

    > > And I was glad to see the 'Serious' pricing still holds!
    > >

    > You might want to try a rental first. I read a couple reviews since my
    > last post and they agreed that the controls are a real pain in the butt
    > because not only are they touchy but the engine is a bit much for the GBA
    > so there's often a brief lag that makes aiming a lot more difficult. It
    > doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy but you might feel differently.
    > Just thought I'd throw in a friendly warning about it.

    Haven't heard good things ... if it is not just all-out fun like the PC
    version I'll hold my $20.

    Mike

Console Gaming Video Games