Solved

What Processor to get? Or to wait?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
July 27, 2011 5:01:34 PM

Basically a strong one, but with buying a cpu comes buying a compatible motherboard.

So Basically I'm buying a PC in... Middle of August...

Gaming, Editing... everything

So Should i buy

Intel i5-2500k
or
Get the new AMD Processors if they come out in time i'm gona buy?

Is the performance between good?

And Idk about waiting for ivy bridge

More about : processor wait

a b à CPUs
July 27, 2011 5:23:04 PM

AMD is really strict with leaked benchmarks so we really don't know how Bulldozer will perform. If you can't wait, I suggest you investing in Intel with their i5-2500k or i7-2600k depending on what kind of editing you're doing. It will last you a good amount of time. Don't remember when Bulldozer will be released though.
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2011 6:02:36 PM

^^ Yeah, But leaked benchmarks still say something, would a $200 equivalent beat the i5-2500k?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 27, 2011 6:53:21 PM

Anonymous said:
^^ Yeah, But leaked benchmarks still say something, would a $200 equivalent beat the i5-2500k?

No one said that.
Who said that?
m
l

Best solution

a c 379 à CPUs
July 27, 2011 7:18:52 PM

A 2500K is as good as it gets for gaming today if you are looking for a cpu in the $200 range.

Bulldozer performance is unknown. In the past, amd has been strong with multicores, but weak on performance per core.

For gaming, you want two or three fast cores, making the 2500K the best for gaming today.
If, when the time comes to buy, you find bulldozer to be better, then consider it.
But bulldozer has been delayed, and I read the absense of leaked benchmarks as a sign that the performance per core may be weak.

The current P67 and Z68 chipsets are supposed to be compatible with the 22nm ivy bridge follow on cpu's, due out the end of the year.
But I don't think an upgrade will be necessary at that time. A more likely upgrade for gaming will be the 28nm amd and nvidia graphic cards due out in the same time period.
July 27, 2011 7:23:53 PM

awe, everybody beat me to the good answers. Spending money on anything other than a core i5 2500k is a bit of a waste. the 2600k is better, but not $100 better it's really a negliable difference for what's out today.

I'm personally waiting on bulldozer. I'm starting to think it will never come out... I'm an ATI/HD fan boy but I wouldn't put to many eggs in their cpu basket... the 2500k is phenomenal
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2011 7:25:30 PM

^^ Okay i see,
m
l
Anonymous
July 27, 2011 8:29:29 PM

Best answer selected by Altay.
m
l