Help! Windows 7 BSOD - multiple times tonight

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hello.

Well, I built my new system as some of you may know (listed in sig.) and it has been a very nice system for the last 2 or 3 weeks since I built it, that is until last night when I had "Firefox" with a few tabs open, was downloading, using another app, etc, and then I got my first Blue screen on my new build. The system had been running flawlessly like I said since I built it.

About a week ago I installed a new video card (a PowerColor Radeon HD 6850) and I think that may be the problem, but I'm not sure. I'm about to install the lastest AMD driver after I type this post (11.4 for the 6xxx series) and hopefully that will fix it.

The first error that I got was a message from Win 7 about my "Avira" antivirus not running and I attempted to start it to no avail, I'm not sure if that's related. Also, upon restart of the system my two "gadgets" were gone from the desktop.

What would happen was that I would click somewhere with my mouse and the screen would go black and then I'd get a BSOD with the following errors:

A. "PAGE FAULT"

B. "Memory management .... or something"

***UPDATE **** Avira stops after restarting windows and windows says "look for an antivirus online" in message center. I think this may be related.

I got about 7 or 8 of these randomly and would just reboot and then start my browser and other apps again and then I'd randomly get another BSOD maybe 20 or so minutes into my next session.

It appears to be something that only happens when I'm multitasking, but I'm not sure yet.

Any suggestions? If the video driver doesn't fix it, I'm thinking that it may be RAM related, but who knows? Are there any apps that can test various hardware on my system?

UPDATE 2**** I installed the new AMD (ati) drivers (11.4) and upon restarting got the good ol BSOD again:

MEMORY_MANAGMENT:

0x0000001A

When I attempt to open explorer (for files or whatever) I get "Windows explorer stopped working" error window every time.

I rebooted into Safe Mode and ran "sfc /scannow" and got something about "there were some corrupt files that Windows couldn't fix".
I also did a CHKDSK on next reboot and then rebooted back into Windows.

Upon restarting Windows (64-bit) 7 I got from my "Comodo firewall" the message "runonce.exe" is trying to execute "CLIstart" which I think is related to ATI. So this time I "blocked" it from my firewall and so far I can open explorer and go online with "firefox" with no problem .... so far.

This sounds like the ATI software is messing up my system!

Also, I've got to find a way to restore those corrupt system files.

Solution
I personally would contact g-skill and see if they would honor the warranty even if the packaging does not exist anymore. Running the bad stick will not damage anything else only result in a BSOD.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Thank you rolli59. I have run sfc, chkdsk and updated all my chipset drivers for intel and all my P8P67 drivers (chipet, NIC, usb, etc drivers) (I didn't realize they were so out of date) and SO FAR everything's running ok .... but for how long?? Thanks, I'll run Memtest. I've got the Win 7 64-bit OEM dvd, is that ok to use to do a system file repair?

Thanks a lot.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

No, it just has a 'restore point' option as far as I can see or you can test the memory, etc.

the files that sfc are reporting as corrupt are things like wlan.dll amd.dll, etc, aren't those just drivers and not Windows system files?

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Thanks again rolli. I ran the "Memory Diagnostic Tool" and it gave me a "Hardware error". I also ran it a 2nd time and the same thing. I removed the 2nd stick of 4 gigs that I have and ran it again and got no error. I'm not sure if that 2nd stick is bad somehow, but it may be going in the trash. Anyways, so far no errors in Windows, I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again .

P.S. The funny thing that was happening before I took out the 2nd stick was I tried running "Malwarebytes" cause I thought I might have a virus and it crashed the computer right off. Then when I rebooted into safe mode with networking firefox kept crashing repeatedly, so then I thought it must be some type of memory error.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Ok Everyone, I think I've fixed it. I took out what I thought was the bad stick of RAM and then ran Prime95. In a split second core 4 dropped to 0 and I got an error and that worker stopped in Prime95. Then I checked the mobo manual AND TO MY SHOCK I had the RAM (single) in the wrong slot! Eeeek! So I put it in the right slot and started Prime again and then number 3 core dropped to 0 and failed in Prime. Now I was getting frustrated! It must be something else, I thought ... the mobo??

Then it dawned on me that maybe the OTHER stick (the one I thought was bad) was good. So I took the stick out and put the other one in the same slot. Bam! Prime95 gives no errors and all 4 cores stay at 100%!! So, HOPEFULLY I've solved it.

The answer: One of my RAM stick (4 gigs) went bad somehow. I don't know HOW because I'm very careful, but ya never know. So anyways, I'm back in windows and again no Blue screens or crashes SO far.

Now, I've gotta repair those system files, but who knows, the bad RAM could've been causing them to appear corrupt, I'll have to see.

So I down to 4 gigs of RAM ..... is that enough or should I get another 4 gigs???

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Ok, now it's getting weird. I put the other stick back in a so far I'm not getting any problems. I ran Prime95 and no errors yet. By the way, I have Gskill Ripjaw 10666 RAM, is that "dual" channel? I still have the corrupt system files (listed by sfc), so I just select "install" with the Windows 7 disk and you're saying it will just fix the system files and won't rewrite the system?

*** UPDATE *** Ok, I have the 2 sticks back in and just ran into the "ILLEGAL SUMOUT" error in Prime95 again and one of the cores (I have 4) stops working because of course Prime shuts down that worker. Started and stopped Prime and got same error on 1 random core. I now have taken the (what I think is) bad RAM stick out and am back in Windows running Prime95 again with no errors and using my browser and a few other programs at the same time. I'm running "blend" and using 76% RAM and all 4 cores are at 100%, Realtemp is showing around 58% C on all cores (not that that has anything to do with anything). So it's REALLY looking like I have a bad stick of RAM here. I'm just wondering how RAM can go BAD just sitting in the computer not being touched. I used to run Prime95 with both sticks in (8gigs total) and have no errors at all.

It happens that ram goes bad, it looks like your stick had a bad circuit somewhere that just failed in use.
On repair install it should only rewrite system files and leave the rest alone, there is a minimal chance that something goes wrong and you loose your data as stated in MS's disclaimer. If you found out that the ram is bad and everything is running fine I would not perform the install.
According to this sfc/scannow already replaces bad system files http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
2 or 4 same size modules ram your board will run the ram in dual channel, odd number of sticks in single channel

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Oh, so that means right now I'm running in single channel, is that bad?? I had (2x4) 8 gigs, but of course with one bad ...

I'm gonna have to write down each filename that sfc is reporting as corrupt.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah, unfortunately I think I threw out the box and stuff. :(

Rolli, will I be ok ordering just another 4 gig stick or do I have to get (2x4) again to get back to 8 gigs? My RAM is Gskill RipJaw F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

thanks rolli59, you've been a big help. I've been running Prime95 and multitasking pretty heavily whilst also running a full virus scan with Avira and still no Blue screens or errors so I think that was definitely a bad stick. This may be foolish, but I'm gonna try just running the "bad" stick and see if I get errors to make sure it's bad.

keto6789

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011

Thanks Rolli! Yes, I put the bad stick in and traded out the good stick and immediately got errors with Prime 95 and the workers stopped on 2 cores, so the stick IS bad. Took the bad stick out and put the good one back in and everything is cool.

:)