Sign in with
Your question

Asus sabertooth z77 motherboard review.

Last response: in Motherboards
a c 462 V Motherboard
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
April 10, 2012 5:44:38 PM

I just got this board into today from new egg and installed into my antec 100 gaming case i picked up on new egg.
Ran into some issues and would like to leave feed back to other who buy this and hopefully someone at asus will read this.
first off with the usb 3.0 port on the top of the mb if your case has long usb 3.0 front pannel wires like the antec case it would have been better if asus had the connector facing up like the stock usb 2.0 ports with the port turned 90 deg like the sata ports the extra cable end up looping inside the drive bay cage. the thermal armor looks nice but to put the stand off screws in you need to use the 6 screws that are give that are the thick and wide type to keep the screws from flipping over. the right edge of the mb is open and you can use a thinner screw for looks. the eight pin mb power connector it placed fine if you use a top mounted power supply. if you use a bottom mounted your going to need to by an extension cable or have an extra long one built. because if you look at the photos online the cable would have to go on top of one or two very hot video card. the last issue was with one of the 40mm fans. the two fans look nice the wires are pre cut to lenth so you know which fan goes where.
the issue i had is with the rear 40mm fan the one that mounts near the io ports. the install guild says there two screws that will hold the fan to the plastic bracket they give you. the bracket i got the screws were too far apart. I installed the fan with one screw. no matter which way i lined the fan up the second screw mounting spot was just a little to far to use. plus i like the dust covers that came with the board..it keep dust out of the slots i dont use. the board was a nice weight ...not flimsy as some other board makers.
April 10, 2012 9:06:14 PM

Question, one in my personal quote and what kind of RAM do you have
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 11, 2012 4:01:13 AM

Bought this mobo too and I love it , looks good too.
April 19, 2012 1:32:50 AM

monsta said:

A Question to you and the OP have you OC'd yet if so/or not what kinda of Processor did you use. I might consider getting the Z77 Sabertooth or just wait for the V Maximus Formula depending on reviews
April 19, 2012 1:37:43 AM

a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 19, 2012 2:03:00 AM

I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge processors to come out next week to make the upgrade, the board is sitting here smiling at me.
In the reviews the overclock potential on this board is excellent and that with a Sandy Bridge , I imagine it will be even better with an Ivy Bridge cpu.
The stock performance isnt the best , but from the review the overclocking is awesome. Have a look here.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/m...
April 19, 2012 2:27:37 AM

monsta said:
I'm waiting for the Ivy Bridge processors to come out next week to make the upgrade, the board is sitting here smiling at me.
In the reviews the overclock potential on this board is excellent and that with a Sandy Bridge , I imagine it will be even better with an Ivy Bridge cpu.
The stock performance isnt the best , but from the review the overclocking is awesome. Have a look here.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/m...

I do like the visual Thermal Armour idea they brought back. I just hope the HAVIK 140 CPU-C I intend to install to this MOBO wont counter any kind of clearance issues.

I read that review after I read the one from KitGuru. Both Great I liked the details KitGuru listed, gave me a general idea of what kind of things to be aware of, as I am completely new to overclocking.

Heres the review

http://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/zardon/as...
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 19, 2012 2:34:26 AM

Love that review too, the Sabertooth PZZ looks even better in person, yeah its a plastic shroud but the Thermal concept behind it works well especially for overclocking. I like the idea of the dust protection too. The board has this minimal look to it which I like.
I have a Thermaltake LCS (Liquid cooling system) I was concerned the waterblock and bracket would not fit , but I checked it out and it clears the thermal casing, so I'm really happy I'll be able to run the cooling I wanted.
Looks like the Ivy Bridge cpu's will arrive hopefully next week, I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I have built it.
April 19, 2012 2:40:44 AM

Pretty much agree with you all the way, im most likely going down the same road as you. I'll probably be ordering most of my build within a week once I finalize most of build. Hope all goes great :D 
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 19, 2012 2:45:10 AM

Goodluck hope it does too, I'm really excited about using this motherboard and Ivy bridge , I'm really loooking forward to it. :) 
!