Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need some help building/upgrading a desktop

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 28, 2011 2:02:46 PM

ok first of im really handy and can build/ fix anything well. I am somewhat knowledgeable on some computer specs and details. I would like to build a really nice desktop from an old one.

Budget:

less than $600

Haves:

32in sharp aquos tv (going to use hdmi as my monitor)
Dell desktop 05D481

Needed:

Everything else to make that original desktop awesome.

Here is what i think i would need from newegg:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX ($230)

Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache
SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive ($80)

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($103)

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770 ($83)

Total in shopping cart $495

I will use this for:

checking email
light gaming
tons of MS office functions
lots of web surfing
Have a lot of music (kinda want more so thats why the hard drive is so large)
Might get netflix (thats why im wanting to use my tv as a monitor)


My questions:

will all this stuff work together?
could I use the old cd drive, graphics card, and case from my old desktop?
do I need additional cooling fans (i think that old desktop has one) ?
anything thats i picked overkill?


Thank You for the help!!!

April 28, 2011 2:20:42 PM

Light gaming to me is facebook games, i have an older version of fifa and maybe some little games from addictinggames.com. Thats kind of why I didnt think i needed to get a new one and just use the old graphics card. thats still cheap tho and would be nice to have.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 28, 2011 2:28:22 PM

Well okay, No video card and your onboard is just fine but do you play any other games other than that? Your specs are magnificent! Just if you are gaming you may want a better card. The 9500 gt is a good low gaming card it still play's many games today on low. Face book games are like 2d. Light gaming is when you don't play many games and just play them once in a while in my opinion. That is what I though you meant.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 2:42:10 PM

Well also I might get into gaming later, but i still wouldnt have time to play a lot. Will all that stuff from newegg work in the desktop i already have together?
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 2:44:58 PM

The specs are great, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is what you need if you plan on gaming later. The build to me is close to a gaming pc, it has ALOT of ram and a good CPU. If you can send me a pic of you current case i could tell you if it would all fit. You would so sadly need a better cpu your psu would explode from the power of that all, get a 600 watt PSU from Compusa.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:02:38 PM

i dont have a pic of the case just know its a Dell 05D481, i googled the image but its not working. I could get a case but which one? Would i need that power supply if i used the original graphics card? and or the first card you mentioned (i think you said you use it?)
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:05:47 PM

No you would need a 450 watt the card will run fine.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:14:00 PM

I don't use Newegg they sent me the wrong memory models and i've NEVER had a problem with tiger direct. Tiger direct has rebates all the time.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:15:49 PM

Sorry to interrupt this conversation. But one thing bothers me, a Hexa-core CPU for standard use? I don't mean to be rude, but IMO, the CPU is an overkill... Not to mention the quite a long list of facts to support my claim.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:17:34 PM

That is what I told him his cpu is not made for that, mainly for just like gaming, though he doesn't have plans for gaming so much. I totally agree with you, he should use a triple core.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:20:43 PM

damasvara said:
Sorry to interrupt this conversation. But one thing bothers me, a Hexa-core CPU for standard use? I don't mean to be rude, but IMO, the CPU is an overkill... Not to mention the quite a long list of facts to support my claim.






How about this? this is only $100

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:34:16 PM

@addison: Even a triple core is a bit much, considering the price difference to an Athlon dual core. But it will surely help if the OP is opening multiple apps at once. Somewhere along dual cores and hexa cores depends on the demand of multi-threading itself.

@OP: Before you decided to go for core-ful CPU :lol:  , ask yourself this: Do I really need it? A PC build is efficient when it's suitable for the user's needs. For example, you'll need many cores for Photoshop, lots of RAM for VMWare, high power PSU for GPU SLI/Crossfire, etc. Of course, the more cores the better. But if you don't actually use them, then it's a waste of... a lot of things. :p  I can give you the details if you're interested. ;) 
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:46:58 PM

He said he was planning to game in the future, the cpu would do well for thses days for medium specs if he uses a geofrce 9800 gt it would greatly increase how much time the pc will last for todays gaming ages maybe 3 years maxium then he would need to upgrade to a 6 core.
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 3:54:32 PM

damasvara said:
@addison: Even a triple core is a bit much, considering the price difference to an Athlon dual core. But it will surely help if the OP is opening multiple apps at once. Somewhere along dual cores and hexa cores depends on the demand of multi-threading itself.

@OP: Before you decided to go for core-ful CPU :lol:  , ask yourself this: Do I really need it? A PC build is efficient when it's suitable for the user's needs. For example, you'll need many cores for Photoshop, lots of RAM for VMWare, high power PSU for GPU SLI/Crossfire, etc. Of course, the more cores the better. But if you don't actually use them, then it's a waste of... a lot of things. :p  I can give you the details if you're interested. ;) 




Well I wanted something fast for mulitple and I mean mulitple tabbed web surfing. What do you think I need?
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 4:05:52 PM

Waterboy312 said:
Well I wanted something fast for mulitple and I mean mulitple tabbed web surfing. What do you think I need?
I'll upload a picture of realtime scenario of your question... :D 
m
0
l
April 28, 2011 4:21:38 PM


What do you think?
m
0
l
!