Does DDR memory matter on MB when upgrading Video Card (Compatability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezzolution

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I have a motherboard with DDR memory onboard, I want to upgrade the AGP card to a better one. Does it have to be the same? example( AGP DDR or can I have an AGP DDR2/3/4 etc.?? Please. NEED HELP!!

Solution
Your motherboard memory and your graphics card memory can be different DDR types.
In fact, the graphics card won't use the the motherboard DDR memory even if both are the same type.
They don't and shouldn't interfere with each other.

The only situation where the memory is shared is if you are using onboard built-in graphics. In this case, you can set the memory allocation in BIOS for the onboard graphics.

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Your motherboard memory and your graphics card memory can be different DDR types.
In fact, the graphics card won't use the the motherboard DDR memory even if both are the same type.
They don't and shouldn't interfere with each other.

The only situation where the memory is shared is if you are using onboard built-in graphics. In this case, you can set the memory allocation in BIOS for the onboard graphics.

Solution

dezzolution

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Thank you for your response so quickly dragonic. Much appreciated help!! I have googled the question and thought that just joining a site, as this one, would be my better bet. Thanks for making my first experience, here, a good one!! Cheers!
:D

dezzolution

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

AWESOME!! DAS_STIG!! Thanks for the link!! Checkin it out, now!!

dragonic2020

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
However as a side note, AGP has been outdated for many years now. PCIe is now the standard.
Of course, you'll probably have to upgrade your entire computer to do that. Maybe you can keep the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.