Sign in with
Your question

Intel WiFi 6230 on Intel H77 based Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2012 10:56:35 PM

Hi, I am planning to build a new desktop based on a Ivy bridge processor (I know still to be launched).

So, I was considering using Intel motherboard DH77KC or DH77EB.

The technical specs say that they both have "One PCI Express Mini Card connector with support for mSATA Solid-State Drive"

I was wondering if I can directly use Intel WiFi + Bluetooth card 6230 in it.

Would I need any extra adapter or converter?

Thanks..

More about : intel wifi 6230 intel h77 based motherboard

a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 4:28:25 AM

As someone pointed in the comments for that mini card, this one is better
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038A9HSK/ref=cm_cr_a..., and yes you can plug this in directly.

I have to ask though, why not go with a P8Z77-V ASUS board that has built in Wireless and WiFi GO feature?
http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z7...

H77 is an older platform, and Z77 boards are designed to take advantage of Ivy Bridge improvements.
m
l
April 13, 2012 8:10:01 AM

Hey thanks for the reply!!

I was thinking of that one (6230) because it is WiFi + Bluetooth whereas the one that you said is WiFi only.

Also the board that you mentioned P8Z77-V costs more than $200 whereas I was looking for something cheap like $100-120 or so.

The H77 is not an older platform right? Correct me if I am wrong but H77 and Z77 were launched at the same time a week back and they both support Ivy bridge processors with the only difference being that Z77 will allow you to overclock?

Thanks..
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 5:35:53 PM

Ahhh, yes you are right, I see "H" in chipset and I think of the old H61 and H67 but obviously since it's H77 it's for Ivy Bridge.

Of course, get which wireless card works best for you, I just saw that one with much better reviews and thought I'd mention it.
m
l
!