GTX 8800 Freeze

s1ckz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
This is a really weird problem that started a few days ago out of nowhere.
My screen freeze up for a few seconds, I start seeing weird pixels, weird colors, then computer restarts. In a loading screen all I see is weird streched marks, when windows start up my resolution is like 640xsomething.... 16bit... I couldn't change anything. So i thought it has smth to do with my drivers or something, so I reformated pc, now everything is running smothly but PC recently started recieving a Physicall dump well It happened only once... Then I came up with a thought maybe my GPU overheating but i've checked temps looks everything fine... Maybe my GPU started to die slowly?

Sorry for broken english, cheers experts.

8800s seem to have a good (or bad I guess) history of failure. Look at other posts in this forum about them. And myself I have gotten a 8800 fresh from the factory from an RMA of another dead one that would not run any type of 3D without issues and system lock-ups.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
That's what happens to them though. With repeated heating and cooling, a solder connection somewhere may have come apart, causing intermittent issues. Sadly they aren't engineered to last forever as they want you to buy another sometime down the road!