Intel I3 2100 vs AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE for Crossfirex

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello everyone,

I know this question gets asked alot in the current discussion of budget gaming PC's. I am building a gaming rig for around $600 and am starting with one HD6870 and will later crossfire in a second. The question is:

do i build around i3 2100 on a MSI-p67A or do I build around an overclocked Phenom II x4 955 BE on a ASRock 970 extreme4 AM3+.

both setups allow for an upgrade to faster chips later and both allow for the crossfire of my HD6870's. I will be doing gaming, but not super hardcore I just want it to look good. Keep in mind I will be running other programs wiht my games such as skype and anti-virus and what not. I will also overlock the phenom to a moderate level. Let me know what your thoughts are with this set up since I know the benchmarks suggest the i3 for pure gaming.

Solution

I do agree with Simon12 you still have the unlocked multi that is Phenom II X4 BE that allows you to OC.

Its still up to you.
I like SB better cuz i am sure that i can upgrade later on to a i7 2600k.But with Amd BD you dont get performance numbers so i cant recommend overall if you do buy the Phenom II X4 you would get more performance now but unpredictable performance later on as BD has got benchies yet.

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
that is what I was thinking. I guess I am a bit worried about commiting to a dual core even with hyper-threading because I am guessing the newer games will enable multi-threading and start taking advantage of multiple cores. I also like the idea that a 4 core processor can multi-task at a higher level.

based on this thinking do you think that the dual core is still worth it based on its benchmarks for gaming?

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
so you mean to say stick with the i3 2100 MSI p67A setup? because the budget dual core will still out preform the AMD quad core architecture even with games that enable more cores or hyper threading?

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

looking at these benchmarks makes me think I should just go with the intel chip and not deal with OC'ing or buying an aftermarket cooling set up.

Also I am wondering if intel provides a better upgrade in the higher intel core quad processors instead of the bulldozer chips in the AM3+

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

I do agree with Simon12 you still have the unlocked multi that is Phenom II X4 BE that allows you to OC.

Its still up to you.
I like SB better cuz i am sure that i can upgrade later on to a i7 2600k.But with Amd BD you dont get performance numbers so i cant recommend overall if you do buy the Phenom II X4 you would get more performance now but unpredictable performance later on as BD has got benchies yet.

Solution

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Amd have been making us wait forever which in the end we are already near the release of two fantastic intel Cpus that is Sandy Bridge Enthusiast version and of course little Ivy bridge.

But as i said AMD havent proved themselves yet so it might be a little wise to wait.

ecjohnson3

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011

I am thinking you are right about that. I guess I don't NEED the computer right now, but I sure would like to get started throwing it together. I guess I can give it another few weeks to see some bulldozer info...if it ever comes

Status
Not open for further replies.