DIR 655: range extension

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Hello
How can I extend my DIR 655 range without additional cables
I live in a pretty big house, with concrete walls and ceiling
I have 3 WD TV live upstairs with wifi adapter,and my main router (DIR 655) is downstairs
How can I do to extend the range of my signal without having to put additional cables? A range extender: Which one
I have a DAP 1522...Is it a range extender?
What about PoE and another router?

Thanks

Solution
Okay here is the deal:

The safest way is pulling a cable through the ceiling to the upstairs and using either a DAP1522 or a DIR655.

If you cannot run a cable, the only option is use the Hawkins. The higher you can elevate your main router the better of a signal you will have upstairs.

Also test it using the DAP1522 in Bridge Mode and connect a laptop via cable to it.

If there is a way to run a cable up the stairway, you could test the connection by using the DAP1522 in AP Mode.

Use a site like www.speedtest.net to test you connection.

To setup the DIR655 as an AP, connect it to a PC via cable and login using 192.168.0.1.
Once you logged in, setup the wireless security settings to match the ones of the main DIR655 and save it...

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Let's say I can put my DAP1522 downstairs where I should have a relatively good wifi signal from my "primary" router
And I will connect my equipment onto it (PS3, NMT, WII and bluray)
But for upstairs where I want to use my WD TV live, is there a way I could use some POE adapters to connect an additional router (or whatever I need) upstairs and have a strong signal for my WD TV?

Primary router<---> POE ..........................Power line..........................POE<--->Secondary router

those Adapters can be slower than a G wireless signal and cost around $100.

If you are planning on spending money, I would still go with the wireless repeater and place it in the room above the DAP1522.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164035

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Let's say I can pass an Ethernet cable form my router (DIR 655) to the new equipment I need uptairs (other router, range extender, repeater, etc...)
1) Do I just have to plug a cable in a free port of my router to that new equipment ?
2) What equipment would you recommend in that case? The Hawkins?

Thanks

If you can pull a network cable from the 655 downstairs to the upstairs, you can connect your 1522 and configure it as an Access Point and connect to it wirelessly.

No additional equipment needed.

1) Yes
2) DAP1522

If you don't want to pull a cable the Hawkins will connect to your router wireless and will also accept wireless form the WD TV at the same time. DAP1522 can only communicate wireless to either the router or the WD TV but not both at the same time.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
OK, I'll keep the DAP1522 as an Access Point to connect my PS3, WII, NMT and Bluray player. It will connect in wifi to my router
So I need a repeater for upstairs
Is the Hawking the best choice? What about the Dlink DAP 1360 or the Netgear WN2000RPT?
I want to make the right choice since I live in Brazil and I won't be able to make any returns (I'll buy it in the USA through a friend)
Thanks

I would choose the DAP-1360. The setup is very easy.

Configure it in Repeater Mode using the manual setup.

All you need to know from the DIR-655 is the wireless password, SSID, and the wireless protocol (WEP, WPA, WPA2). WPA or WPA2 is recommended.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I took a look at some reviews about the DAP 1360, and they are not so great....That´s strange!!!
What would be my other options in the following cases:
1) I can´t pass an ethernet cable between my router and the new equipment: is there a better repeater or range extender than the DAP 1360?
2) I can pass an ethernet cable between my router and the new equipment: what possible equipment could I use?
3) What do you think about POE ?

Thanks

1) If you can't pass a cable, I still like the Hawking HWREN1.

2) If you can run a cable from the downstairs to the upstairs, you can use you DAP1522 in AP mode.

3) I found reviews that said that the speed might be reduced by as much as 80%. So depending how long the wire's distance in the wall from point A to point B is you might only get a connection of 20 mb instate of 100 mb.

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007

Well, since I already have the DAP 1522 available, I guess I can make a test in Access Point mode and see the strenght and bandwidth of the signal with the DAP1522 located upstairs
If it´s pretty good, I will buy another one to be used in Bridge Mode for my PS3, NMT, Wii and Bluray downstair
If the signal is poor though, I will look at the Hawking...
I´ve read somewhere that it was better to have all the equipment the same brand?
What do you think about DIR 655 + Hawking HWREN1

1 last question: Instead of the DAP 1522 in AP mode for upstairs, could I use a 2nd DIR655 and use it as an AP? If it´s feasible, can I epxect better results than with the DAp1522?
Thanks

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Well, I think I need 2 things:
1. The DAP 1522 downstairs, set as a bridge, to connect my PS3, Network Media Tank, Wii and BluRay player to my network
2. Something else upstairs (2nd DAP 1522 set as Acces Point, other DIR 655 set to work as AP if it´s possible or Range extender like the Hawking) to extend my wifi network to be able to connect wirelessly my 2 WD TV live that will be in the bedrooms upstairs

Does it make sense or did I miss something?
Of course, before buying the 2nd equipment I´ll double check the strength of the signal upstairs, but I already checked with my laptop, and in 1 bedroom, the signal was weak

Let me know if I get this right…….
And between the 3 solutions to extend the range of the wifi signal (point 2), which one will be the easiest to install and will give the best results?

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007

Is the setting up of the DIR 655 a complicated/risky thing,or is it pretty straight forward (any tutorial by the way?)
What would YOU do: DAp 1522, DIR 655 or Hawking for the bets results and less risks (like I said, I live in Brazil and I´ll buy it in the USA, so no return possible...)
Thank you

Okay here is the deal:

The safest way is pulling a cable through the ceiling to the upstairs and using either a DAP1522 or a DIR655.

If you cannot run a cable, the only option is use the Hawkins. The higher you can elevate your main router the better of a signal you will have upstairs.

Also test it using the DAP1522 in Bridge Mode and connect a laptop via cable to it.

If there is a way to run a cable up the stairway, you could test the connection by using the DAP1522 in AP Mode.

Use a site like www.speedtest.net to test you connection.

To setup the DIR655 as an AP, connect it to a PC via cable and login using 192.168.0.1.
Once you logged in, setup the wireless security settings to match the ones of the main DIR655 and save it.
Then under the Basic tab disabling the DHCP, assigning it an IP (ex. 192.168.0.10), and save it.
Connect the newly configured router/AP, using one of the four LAN ports, via network cable to the main router.

Solution

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007

last question, I swear: between DAP 1522 and DIR655, which one will be better?
Thank you very much for all your detailed answers

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
I just ordered a DIR 655 for $60 at Newegg
Hope it will be easy to configure as an access point
1 more question: after I configured it as an access point, can I use 1 of the LAN port to wire connect to another computer?

Thanks

gmw1955

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I have been reading this thread and wish to clarify something. I have a DIR-655 in my basement (#1) and wi-fi does not work upstairs. I can run a wire upstairs to hook up a 2nd DIR-655 (#2) which I wish to use primarily as a wireless access point. I understand the cable from #1 to #2 is plugged in to a LAN port. Do the remaining 3 ports on #2 work for other wired connnections? Thanks.