Sign in with
Your question

Is this PC worth the money?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
April 28, 2011 6:32:28 PM

Hello,

I have been looking for a gaming PC lately, not a very powerful one but something that can play most of the games. I found one at Walmart and since I have no idea about PCs, I'm seeking out your advice. Is it worth the money or I will end up spending more ?
my price range is around $400-$600.
Here is the link
http://www.walmart.com/ip/iBuypower-811121014902/152618...

I appreciate your help

More about : worth money

April 28, 2011 8:09:45 PM

The problem with the way prefabricated systems are advertised is that they advertise the detail that they think people want to see, and to those who don't know any better, this is usually just what they're looking for.

The CPU on this machine isn't anything to brag about. The 3.0 Frequency is nice, but it's only a dual core. Most of the popular games and software are being developed with multithreading, which allows the app/game to utilize the amount of cores available. In that respect, dual core certainly is better than single core, as you can theoretically cut the processing time in half by slpitting the load among the two cores, but quad core CPUs are a hell of a lot cheaper now the hex core CPUs are on the market. If you have to buy, rather than build, I'd find a system with at least a quad core CPU. This will keep you from upgrading longer.

Next I would try to find out what kind of Power Supply Unit, or PSU, is in this system. Generic PSUs aren't capable of handling the intensity demanded by the graphics and CPU driven games. Although it is certain that the PSU in this system can handle the AMD Radeon 5450, this video card is nothing special either.

Also, with the increasing demand for better graphics, games are constantly patched; in these patches are upgrades to the graphics in the game, and unfortunately sometimes 512 MB graphics just isn't enough. Look for a system with the same (or better) video card model, but with 1 GB of memory.

When it comes to memory, or RAM, 4GB will typically be enough for most apps/games, so long as you have a 64-bit operating system (which is included on this system), but not just any RAM will do. The reason that this computer system is so cheap is because of all the "budget" parts inside. The three key items to be aware of are Timing, Frequency, and Voltage. If this system is like most store-bought prefabricated systems, then chances are that the BIOS is locked. If this is the case, you'll be unable to change the settings to make the computer more efficient, even with upgrades.

All-in-all, this isn't a terrible system, especially for what's "in the box", but building a system isn't very difficult. If you're not set in stone about buying, I recommend that you check out www.newegg.com and check out the prices on comparable parts to this build.
m
l
Related resources
May 1, 2011 10:15:35 PM

Try custompcandrepairs.com They do custom built systems like this and have this name your price thing where you give them a budget and they will get you the best deal they can. Worth a shot to at least email them.
m
l
May 5, 2011 6:52:03 PM

i can sell you a pc with these specs for $450

Specs:
Intel Core i3 2100 Dual Core 3.1 Ghz
4GB GSkill Ripjaws CL7 DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
AsRock H61M U3S3 Motherboard
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 Hard Drive
DVD Burner w/Lightscribe
Antec 430 Watt Earthwatts PowerSupply