Sign in with
Your question

Geforece 9800 GT failure? ETA: now I need a new GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 22, 2011 3:53:11 PM

Hello,

I've been using a home built desktop since August 2008 (I've pasted in full specs at the end). It has run very well with hardly any issues since then.

Last night, we arrived back home from nearly a week away. I started the computer and loaded up Lord of the Rings Online. As I was going to choose my character, the screen got a reddish hue and then the display went black.

We tried restarting the computer, but there are lines across the screen at one point and then green squares at another point. The screen goes black as it is trying to load up windows. The only way we can get it to load so we can see is in safe mode.

I tried doing a clean install of the video drivers & once that was complete, graphics did seem normal and the computer loaded normally. Until I tried to play a youtube video and then the screen went black again. I've tried reinstalling the video drivers as well as reseating the card (and getting the dust out of the case).

Has my graphics card failed? Or could it be something else?

Thanks!

System info:
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

EVGA 512-P3-N976-AR GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported ...

ASUS P5QL PRO LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor HH80562PH0568M - OEM

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready PSU

ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T LightScribe Support

in a: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

with a LG Flatron W2234S monitor
a c 206 U Graphics card
February 22, 2011 4:25:44 PM

You are indeed describing a GPU with a heat or power issue. First, make sure the fan on your GPU is actually working. BTW, do you monitor your temps with any apps like hwmonitor or speccy?

Also, if you are OCing anything, I would suggest you drop back to stock speeds to see if that helps.

Do you have access to another GPU to swap into your system (or into another) to use for troubleshooting?

Please clarify these points. Good luck!
February 22, 2011 4:39:11 PM

The fan on the GPU is running, yes. I don't have anything to monitor temps (& I don't know if I could at this point since I can't get the computer up & running except in safe mode where the graphics isn't really being used, I guess).

I don't even know *how* to overclock, so I doubt that is the issue :) 

The only other GPU I have at the moment is a AGP and this motherboard only has PCI slots.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 206 U Graphics card
February 22, 2011 4:50:21 PM

imcavebear said:
The fan on the GPU is running, yes. I don't have anything to monitor temps (& I don't know if I could at this point since I can't get the computer up & running except in safe mode where the graphics isn't really being used, I guess).

I don't even know *how* to overclock, so I doubt that is the issue :) 

The only other GPU I have at the moment is a AGP and this motherboard only has PCI slots.

Understood on all points. Try this (safe mode with networking). Download and install driversweeper and completely remove all video drivers.

Then, shut the system down and remove all power sources (including the monitor and powered speakers. Press the power button to discharge any residual power (yes, it is true). Then, remove the GPU and re-insert it making sure is is firmly in place.

Also, remove the motherboard battery while you are in there (for 30 seconds) and re-insert the battery (this will force your BIOS into its default state, as shipped from the factory)

Hook everything back up and power up. Go into your BIOS (if needed) and change any settings you may have been using.

When the system comes back up you should try to re-install the drivers. Good luck!
February 22, 2011 11:28:00 PM

Tried that and it didn't work. I'm guessing it will need to be replaced.

Thanks for the help!
February 23, 2011 2:06:48 PM

So, it looks like the graphics card is done. I'm looking at replacing it with the ATI Radeon 5750. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? The computer is used for gaming (with games like Lord of the Rings Online, Sims 2, Battle for Middle Earth).

Thanks!
a c 206 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 2:53:59 PM

What resolution do you normally game at?

BTW, the 5750 is a good general purpose GPU and will perform okay with most games (as long as you don't go overboard with the graphics detail in the games).

Good luck!
February 23, 2011 3:50:34 PM

Um... it depends. I can't really go on and see what resolution i usually play at the moment. On our new laptop, which has the Radeon 5470, I'm running the game just fine at 1280 x 720. It lags if I try to push it up to 1600x900. But I think on the desktop that is the resolution (16x9) I've been using. For LOTRO, I use the option of detecting optimal settings. So I'm pretty sure it's been at "very high" but not the "ultra high" option.
a c 206 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 4:18:39 PM

You can't directly compare the laptop/5470 to the desktop/5750. However, the GPU performance of the 5750 should be much greater than the capability of the 5470.
February 23, 2011 4:54:48 PM

Ok, and I assume my psu will be able to handle the GPU? It's a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V.

a c 206 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 5:11:28 PM

imcavebear said:
Ok, and I assume my psu will be able to handle the GPU? It's a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V.

Not an issue. You are good to go. HOOAH!!!
February 23, 2011 5:20:31 PM

Thanks so much for your help!
a c 206 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 5:21:41 PM

imcavebear said:
Thanks so much for your help!

You are most welcome. Enjoy!
February 25, 2011 6:39:56 PM

New GPU installed yesterday and it's working great!
a c 206 U Graphics card
February 25, 2011 6:40:51 PM

imcavebear said:
New GPU installed yesterday and it's working great!

WOO HOO! Good job!!!
!