Sign in with
Your question

Using HDMI and S/PDIF

Last response: in Motherboards
April 11, 2012 1:37:36 AM

Hi All,

I am a newbie and just built an HTPC using a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard.

I need to run an HDMI cable to a projector AND connect the sound system to the S/PDIF port.

It appears that when I connect the HDMI cable, the S/PDIF port shuts down. It is like the motherboard is trying to send the audio out the HDMI connection.

I ended up replacing the HDMI cable with a VGA cable. I then discovered that Blu-ray disks won't play with VGA, and need to use HDMI.

Any suggestions on how to utilize both the HDMI and S/PDIF at the same time?

Thanks for your help.

More about : hdmi pdif

a c 198 V Motherboard
April 11, 2012 2:48:00 AM

Have you tried setting the default playback device in Control Panel/Sound (other than the HDMI output)? Also, is your on-board audio (that uses the S/PDIF) enabled in your BIOS and the drivers loaded properly?
April 11, 2012 4:00:58 AM

Sorry. False alarm. I tested the HDMI cable again tonight and both the sound and the video are working great.

In the process of building a new system, I noted the following:
1. Projector connected via HDMI - cannot access the S/PDIF in sound setup.
2. Switched to VGA cable. - S/PDIF now available in sound setup.

I am guessing that in the process of loading drivers and Windows updates, the S/PDIF started working properly. I erroneously attributed it to a cable change.

Man, this thing rocks as a HTPC. I don't even have a video card; using the mobo video!

Thanks for responding.
Related resources
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 11, 2012 2:52:33 PM

Good luck and have fun!!!
November 17, 2012 8:02:13 PM

COLGeek said:
Have you tried setting the default playback device in Control Panel/Sound (other than the HDMI output)? Also, is your on-board audio (that uses the S/PDIF) enabled in your BIOS and the drivers loaded properly?

I am having the same problem, sort of, with connecting a PS3 and a gaming chair with wireless speakers. It seems that the HDMI cable sucks up all the audio and I can't get any to go to the gaming chair by hooking up a red/white cable to the adapter for the chair. Is there a way to do this? I am able to get the chair to work by plugging directly into the headphone jack, but then the TV has no sound. i can't seem to win! Please help me! Thanks!
!