henry300

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hello,
My i7 2600k @ 4.4GHz runs about 42-47 degree celsius in idle and at full load around 70, highest I have reached is 78 degree. Is it normal or should I be worried. I have Cooler Master V8 for cooling. I heard that some people have temperatures like 25 degree and so on in idle. My room temperature is currently 25 degree.

Henry

What settings have you changed to do your overclock? Did you follow a guide? If you did, then the guide may have told you to change certain settings that disable the CPU's low-power idle mode. If you disabled those settings, your CPU will run warm at idle.

Another reason could be that your CPU cooler might not be mounted correctly.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
I don't think those temperatures are that bad for a i7 at 4.4 in a 77 degree room. A little high at load and idle but not too far out of where you should be. what do you have for a case, and is the cpu fan at it's max setting?

RussK1

Splendid

^+1

When I'm oc'd to 4ghz my tcase readings hover around 42 degrees celsius +/-... w/all power saving features off. It varies greatly on the ambient room temps...

RussK1

Splendid

Sure it does. The voltage is increased thus temps will be higher. Plus you have to take into consideration case temps and airflow. At 4.4ghz with an idle temp of 42 degrees celcius I'd say you're doing good. Do you have hyper threading on? Hyper threading greatly impacts temps under load, turn it off temporarily and I'll guarantee the overall temps drop considerably.

Anyway, just note that "core" temps are actually higher than the tcase temps... if you're monitoring core temps don't. I'd keep a closer eye on actual (tcase) die temps.

...as far as people saying they're getting 25 degree celcius readings?? Either they have a wild imagination, are living in Antarctica or are using extravagant water cooling. Under "normal" conditions they aren't hitting 25... I just take that with a grain of salt and chalk it up to being bullS**t...