DVD/RAM drive drive problems.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 7, 2005 5:35:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi Have just got this drive as an upgrade for my CD Rom drive.

My problem is that the Yellow Led indicator on the side of the drive is
continuously on if I have no DVD in the drive. Does anyone have the drive
and have this problem?. It also will not read standard CD's at all.
Is it a driver problem, !

Looking for any suggestions.

Richard.
May 7, 2005 5:35:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <Du3fe.40307$Cq2.28762@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, DR_Mac
says...
> Hi Have just got this drive as an upgrade for my CD Rom drive.
>
> My problem is that the Yellow Led indicator on the side of the drive is
> continuously on if I have no DVD in the drive. Does anyone have the drive
> and have this problem?. It also will not read standard CD's at all.
> Is it a driver problem, !

Well, there are many things to consider. For example, some drives DO
always show an amber LED when there is no disc in the drive. It's possible
(only just) that your new drive doesn't support the reading of certain
types of CDs, such as music vs. streaming vs. data (a CD is *NOT* a CD is
not a CD). Is this behavior documented as abnormal in your drive's manual
or specs?

Other things to consider or the Microsoft direct-CD writing tool/wizard;
it probably needs to be turned off or removed (check your drive's manual).
Toshiba usually throws in some kind of 3rd-party tool for writing CDs; it,
too, will probably need to be disabled. Again, the manual should indicate
if there is any incompatibility with previously-installed CD writing
software.

As to drivers, if you're using XP, did you run the XP Update process from
the MS Update site? If your drive is branded as XP-compatible, the update
process should find your new hardware and load whatever drivers you may
need.

If none of the above helps at all, please post your laptop model, the
drive make & model, and your operating system.

Frisco
May 7, 2005 10:42:53 PM

"DR_Mac" <DR_MacD@msn.com> wrote in message
news:D u3fe.40307$Cq2.28762@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi Have just got this drive as an upgrade for my CD Rom drive.
>
> My problem is that the Yellow Led indicator on the side of the drive is
> continuously on if I have no DVD in the drive. Does anyone have the drive
> and have this problem?. It also will not read standard CD's at all.
> Is it a driver problem, !
>

> Looking for any suggestions.
>
> Richard.

Does the drive work with DVD's and does it burn disks OK? Have you checked
out the manufactureres website for any specific drivers (did anything come
with the drive)

Martin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 26, 2005 5:07:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,japan.comp.toshiba,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

check to make sure your cables or ribbons are connect to pin one

!