Windows 7 home premium edition+which email program is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmd47

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I just got a new computer: Acer (desk top) with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. I have been using WindowsXP and Outlook Express...I would very much appreciate some help in deciding what email program to use. I do not/cannot use a web based email program like Gmail. I assume what I have to choose from is Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird/Mozella email...

I am not techie, I'm 64 years old and find it hard to grapsp a lot of computer skills...so, which of these two email programs would be the best for me to set up and use?
I am taking my old computer and the new one to a computer shop to have everything transferred and they will install the email program for me so I am sure not to loose my address book.

Thank you for any help.

jmd47

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

Thank you. I read up and tried to uderstand everything... I had heard that Windows Live Mail tries to take over your computer, that is isn't very 'stable', and that kind of threw me.

My husband uses Thunderbird and says it's a good program... the one thing that I don't like about what I've read and from what my husband says, is that you cannot send or recieve photo attachments with Thunderbird... and I happen to send and recieve photos quite often.

How would one send & recieve photos in an email if you use Thunderbird? If I can find out the answer to that question, then I can decide on which to install.

Thank you very much.

jmd47

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011

Thank you. area51reopned also gave me a link and I read up on both... I would already have decided on using Thunderbird except that you cannot send or recieve photo attachments (which is incredible)... I love the ease of use, but I send & recieve a lot of photos...so now I don't know what to do unless you, area51reopened or someone else can tell me how you can send & recive photos with Thunderbird.

I sure appreciate you guys helping me out!!

Did u watch the video?

tlw1999

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Thunderbird would be the best for you. Just send the picture as an attachment to the receipent.

jmd47

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
:D Thanks to all of you... maybe Thunderbird itself got the 'rumor' started about photo attachments because I looked at the comparison chart that was included in one of the links you guys gave me, and under the topic 'photo attachments' it has an 'x' marked in that box, whereas WLM has a check mark in that box... :??: go figure!!

Anyway... nikorr...nope, I didn't watch the video....but I will as soon as I reply to you guys and since you all obviously have been using TB and sending photo attachments, I will be installing TB on my new computer :D

Thanks again to all of you...fast replies, good people... glad I found this place, I'll be learning how to use Windows 7 and may be back with a few more dumb questions.

Appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS