Sign in with
Your question

Need Help NO sound from HDMI interfase.

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2011 2:12:16 AM

Hello ppl

I have connnected my monitor with HIghspeed HDMI cable to my GTX 460 GPU
but i can't get an sound through this cable as i activate the HDMI option in win 7 sound settings. I have creative inspire 5.1 home theater.

What may be the problem ? only realtech HD audio can be heard.

More about : sound hdmi interfase

a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2011 3:19:06 PM

Try setting your application (game, player) to "digital" sound.
m
l
April 29, 2011 3:28:33 PM

I am confused. You have the HDMI cable connected to your monitor. How are your speakers hooked up?
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2011 4:18:15 PM

^ Maybe he somehow pass through the audio output from the TV to the speakers. Although I'm not sure that's possible. Even if it is, then the output from the TV isn't HDMI anymore. Now, I'm the one who got confused. :lol: 
m
l
April 29, 2011 10:02:56 PM

themarin8r said:
I am confused. You have the HDMI cable connected to your monitor. How are your speakers hooked up?

My 5.1 is connected to motherboard n HDMI cable to graphic card to monitor. The display is HDMI but i can't get sound have connected everything in right way ?
m
l
April 29, 2011 10:05:32 PM

mosox said:
Try setting your application (game, player) to "digital" sound.

Tried settings digital and HDMI sound from win 7 sound settings but no use. my motherboard also supports spdif sound support.
m
l
April 29, 2011 10:06:50 PM

damasvara said:
^ Maybe he somehow pass through the audio output from the TV to the speakers. Although I'm not sure that's possible. Even if it is, then the output from the TV isn't HDMI anymore. Now, I'm the one who got confused. :lol: 

if i am right HDMI cable also carries sound from it so where shoud i connect my 5.1 for HDMI output.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 29, 2011 10:21:18 PM

crazywingman said:
My 5.1 is connected to motherboard n HDMI cable to graphic card to monitor. The display is HDMI but i can't get sound have connected everything in right way ?

I, too, am confused; however, if I am understanding this issue correctly, you need to connect speakers to the mobo. The HDMI can transfer sound, yes, but since you don't have HDMI connected to your integrated 5.1, sound isn't being transfered.

Sound will not transfer via HDMI through a GPU, because a GPU doesn't process sound.

Edit: Maybe it would be easier to help you if posted the make/model of your mobo.
m
l
April 29, 2011 11:12:48 PM

If you have a receiver that does sound and video, then connect the HDMI cable from the computer to that and then obviously connect the receiver to the TV. Otherwise, with two cables, it will not broadcast sound from the one on the motherboard because you have enabled the graphics card by installing it and hooking up to that.
m
l
April 29, 2011 11:53:22 PM

Well, if you have speakers and a hdmi cable the "HD" sound won't work because the computer thinks you want those speakers not the hd.
m
l
May 1, 2011 11:54:21 AM

T_T said:
I, too, am confused; however, if I am understanding this issue correctly, you need to connect speakers to the mobo. The HDMI can transfer sound, yes, but since you don't have HDMI connected to your integrated 5.1, sound isn't being transfered.

Sound will not transfer via HDMI through a GPU, because a GPU doesn't process sound.

Edit: Maybe it would be easier to help you if posted the make/model of your mobo.

My mobo is Asus P6X58DE and creative 5.1 Inspire connected to motherboard.
My mobo has High Definition audio codec but i want to HDMI sound from the HDMI cable, what shud i do ?
m
l
May 1, 2011 11:56:31 AM

addison said:
Well, if you have speakers and a hdmi cable the "HD" sound won't work because the computer thinks you want those speakers not the hd.

I am confused what reciever i need ?
i have an HDMI cable connected to my dell ST2320L monitor n GTX 460 VGA card. Now where shud i connect my 5.1 creative inspire ?
m
l
May 1, 2011 11:58:47 AM

why does nvidia gives HD audio driver with display driver CD ?
on my GTX 460 its written on box that it suppots HD audio ???
m
l
May 1, 2011 12:10:40 PM

crazywingman said:
why does nvidia gives HD audio driver with display driver CD ?
on my GTX 460 its written on box that it suppots HD audio ???
That's why I said that the only possible explanation is that the monitor somehow passed through the audio signal to the speakers.

Theoretically, the layout should be something like this:

GPU --(A & V)--> Monitor/TV --(Audio only)--> Speakers

What confuses me is: Is that possible?

Even if it is possible, the monitor audio output to the speakers while receiving input signal from the GPU, the quality may somehow degraded. I've tried something like this, using RCA connectors. But I'm not sure it's the same case if both connections are using HDMI. :sweat: 
m
l
May 4, 2011 11:59:45 PM

damasvara said:
That's why I said that the only possible explanation is that the monitor somehow passed through the audio signal to the speakers.

Theoretically, the layout should be something like this:

GPU --(A & V)--> Monitor/TV --(Audio only)--> Speakers

What confuses me is: Is that possible?

Even if it is possible, the monitor audio output to the speakers while receiving input signal from the GPU, the quality may somehow degraded. I've tried something like this, using RCA connectors. But I'm not sure it's the same case if both connections are using HDMI. :sweat: 

What should i do to start the HDMI sound option in win7 sound settings. " i get no sound from the speakers if i select this option".

What is the solution ?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2011 1:39:27 AM

GPU to monitor via HDMI will not transfer any sound, whatsoever. This is because the GPU has no sound processing on it. So, forget about getting sound from it.

What we need to understand/determine is how you have your 5.1 speaker system connected. If you have the speakers connected to the motherboard, via the colored jacks, then this is not an HDMI cable problem. Now, on the other hand, if your sound card/mobo has an HDMI output, and you've connected speakers via HDMI, then we have a problem.

Bottom line questions:

1. How are your 5.1 speakers set up?
2. How many HDMI cables do you have connected to your computer?
m
l
May 5, 2011 10:34:31 PM

T_T said:
GPU to monitor via HDMI will not transfer any sound, whatsoever. This is because the GPU has no sound processing on it. So, forget about getting sound from it.

What we need to understand/determine is how you have your 5.1 speaker system connected. If you have the speakers connected to the motherboard, via the colored jacks, then this is not an HDMI cable problem. Now, on the other hand, if your sound card/mobo has an HDMI output, and you've connected speakers via HDMI, then we have a problem.

Bottom line questions:

1. How are your 5.1 speakers set up?
2. How many HDMI cables do you have connected to your computer?

Yes, you do get sound with HDMI from your graphics card if it supports HDMI hi def audio, which a lot of cards do. I said it already in this thread, you need to put the signal through an audio/video receiver in order to use just one HDMI cable for sound and video. Unless your monitor has speakers, you will not get sound from HDMI from directly plugging in your monitor to the graphics card via HDMI.
m
l
May 6, 2011 2:34:50 AM

^ With that said, passing through the audio signal to the speakers is not impossible. If there is some kind of setting to make the speakers as the monitor's audio output while receiving HDMI signal from the GPU, then the speakers should work. If the speakers are using standard audio connectors (stereo), then plug that to the monitor's audio output. Look for the audio output setting while on HDMI input mode.

Of course, all that assuming your monitor has a built-in speaker. I've done that with my old mini home theater setup and custom HTPC. Should also work in your case.
m
l
May 6, 2011 2:52:43 AM

You could also select the motherboards HDMI audio separately, which i totally forgot about. If its windows 7, just click control panel, and then sound and you can select where your sound is coming from. Try out different things until you find the right one. Chances are it is the same name as your other onboard sound, just with HDMI at the end
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2011 1:09:02 AM

themarin8r said:
Yes, you do get sound with HDMI from your graphics card if it supports HDMI hi def audio, which a lot of cards do. I said it already in this thread, you need to put the signal through an audio/video receiver in order to use just one HDMI cable for sound and video. Unless your monitor has speakers, you will not get sound from HDMI from directly plugging in your monitor to the graphics card via HDMI.

GPU's do not "support" sound. They do however, have a S/PDIF jack that connects to the sound processor, be it mobo or sound card. Connecting the HDMI straight from GPU to monitor will not transfer any sound. What this means is you still need a sound processing device, which is likely reason why the OP isn't getting sound; he thinks that connecting display device and GPU via HDMI will give him sound.
m
l
May 7, 2011 3:59:34 AM

T_T said:
GPU's do not "support" sound. They do however, have a S/PDIF jack that connects to the sound processor, be it mobo or sound card. Connecting the HDMI straight from GPU to monitor will not transfer any sound. What this means is you still need a sound processing device, which is likely reason why the OP isn't getting sound; he thinks that connecting display device and GPU via HDMI will give him sound.

You can keep saying that all you want, but my computer(s) would disagree. I have one hooked up to my TV with just a single hdmi cable and I get video and sound through it. My computer I am typing on now has audio drivers for ATI HD Audio to go through the HDMI cable. His issue is that he is using 2 hdmi cables and not getting sound because the sound option is selected as the regular onboard 5.1 or 7.1 sound, not the HD sound.
m
l
May 8, 2011 8:50:24 PM

but as it was already stated, what would be best is to post full system specs and how everything is hooked up atm that way we can actually get this thing working.
m
l
February 21, 2012 11:21:54 AM

T_T said:
Maybe you should just not say anything because you are so wrong it's funny. GPU's do support HD Audio. I have one myself that plugs straight into the PCIe slot and there are not other cables and it gets 7.1 sound
m
l
February 24, 2012 4:46:04 AM

As far as I can remember the creative inspire 5.1 does not have a HDMI input there for there is no way to get HDMI audio to the creative inspire 5.1 period.

To get HDMI audio out you have to connect the HDMI cable to ether a HDTV or HDMI ready sound system. I do not understand were the confusion is there is no other way. So ether use your onboard audio or buy a 5.1 system that supports HDMI input that is it.
m
l
October 14, 2012 7:09:25 PM

crazywingman said:
Tried settings digital and HDMI sound from win 7 sound settings but no use. my motherboard also supports spdif sound support.

go to Control Panel
then to Hardware and Sound
then to Change System Sounds
then go to the Playback tab
then right click on SPDIF
then click on Show Disabled Devises
then right click on Speakers
then click Enable
then right click Speakers again
then click test
you should hear sound as long as your speakers are hooked up
m