Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Overclocking the unlocked 6950/6970

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 22, 2011 11:07:59 PM

I built my first computer last year. I had a 5850 but upgraded to a 6950 because of its unlocking ability and let me tell you, it works with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Well it works with no problems at stock speeds. Stock 6970 speeds are 880/1375.

1. I can't seem to unlock the voltage. I do have the reference Powercolor Radeon HD 6950. Should I have unlocked it before I flashed the bios? I am using MSI Afterburner. I've always used CCC in the past and am new to overclocking so I don't know if I'm doing it right. I go into MSI AfterBurner settings and have 'unlock voltage control' checked off but it doesn't unlock the voltage.

2. My current stable overclock settings are 915/1450. I can't have a stable max CCC overclock of 950/1450. Are my current voltage settings the reason its unstable or can it be something else? I do a Furmark test and it crashes after hitting 70C+ when the core clock settings are 930mhz+ and crashes after 80C+ when the core clock is 920-930. I've done an hr benchmark @ a 915mhz core clock and its stable. I know the 6950 lacks the ability to draw power like the 6970 does due to the 6+6 vs 6+8 pin configurations, so is this the reason?

I do have my CCC settings to +20% for power consumption as well.

Best solution

March 7, 2011 10:14:57 PM
Share

Carc369 said:
I built my first computer last year. I had a 5850 but upgraded to a 6950 because of its unlocking ability and let me tell you, it works with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever. Well it works with no problems at stock speeds. Stock 6970 speeds are 880/1375.

1. I can't seem to unlock the voltage. I do have the reference Powercolor Radeon HD 6950. Should I have unlocked it before I flashed the bios? I am using MSI Afterburner. I've always used CCC in the past and am new to overclocking so I don't know if I'm doing it right. I go into MSI AfterBurner settings and have 'unlock voltage control' checked off but it doesn't unlock the voltage.

2. My current stable overclock settings are 915/1450. I can't have a stable max CCC overclock of 950/1450. Are my current voltage settings the reason its unstable or can it be something else? I do a Furmark test and it crashes after hitting 70C+ when the core clock settings are 930mhz+ and crashes after 80C+ when the core clock is 920-930. I've done an hr benchmark @ a 915mhz core clock and its stable. I know the 6950 lacks the ability to draw power like the 6970 does due to the 6+6 vs 6+8 pin configurations, so is this the reason?

I do have my CCC settings to +20% for power consumption as well.

From what I have read if you have a stable over clock be thankful. The 6970 has a 6 and 8 pin power connector and it is a bit dangerous to OC a flashed 6950 due to the power requirements being higher than the amount of power the 2 6 pins will provide. I say be thankful because I purchased a Diamond 6950 for the same reason and I will unlock very easy however its not stable I even get artifacts on the 2d desktop screen :(  Even worse than that if I leave the stock bios in and try to OC up to 6970 speeds I still get artifacts lol. I will be swapping this card out for a XFX version and hoping that it is more stable.
March 15, 2011 12:49:10 AM

Best answer selected by Carc369.
Related resources
March 15, 2011 1:23:32 AM

Carc369 said:
Best answer selected by Carc369.

nthanks for the vote :)  update i got the XFX its flashed and stable at 6970 clock speeds. Havent tried to OC and most likly wont
March 15, 2011 2:43:58 AM

yea overclocking the 6970 is only like a 2-3 fps gain in metro 2033 for me. Not a big deal but since I'm getting ~30 fps in it I'll take every fps I can get.
March 15, 2011 2:43:31 PM

Carc369 said:
yea overclocking the 6970 is only like a 2-3 fps gain in metro 2033 for me. Not a big deal but since I'm getting ~30 fps in it I'll take every fps I can get.

Do you have everything on and up all the way? I have a less powerfull CPU than you I have it turned up all the way try these changes see what you think. Turn off Advaced DOF this has a big effect on FPS and it is a very small part of the game. Also see how you like it with AAA and not MSAA. With those 2 settings changed and everything else turned all the way up I get 45-50 FPS and the game still looks amazing :bounce: 
March 15, 2011 5:17:08 PM

I had everything up all the way besides I had AAA on not MSAA.

It doesn't matter though since I beat the game. I don't see myself playing it again. Not because I didn't like it but because I'm the type that once I beat the game I'm done with it.
March 15, 2011 6:39:12 PM

Carc369 said:
I had everything up all the way besides I had AAA on not MSAA.

It doesn't matter though since I beat the game. I don't see myself playing it again. Not because I didn't like it but because I'm the type that once I beat the game I'm done with it.

The game has so many frustrating momets for me I think ill be done when I beat it once as well lol
March 15, 2011 7:31:00 PM

Same here and I have to admit, playing at night scared the **** out of me at certain points. I didn't like the gas mask/filter thing at all. Retarded that you couldn't buy filters besides at the beginning of the game. The library was annoying.
March 15, 2011 7:54:44 PM

I hate when your in a fire fight and you stop to change a filter lol DEAD
!