Question about video card compatibility

kovenant675

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hello, i am currently having a problem with installing a HD5850 video card into my Asus P5BV-C motherboard. I receive the 1 long and 3 short beep bios warning which i am pretty sure means extended graphics adapter error. I was wondering if maybe a BIOS update would solve this problem or if maybe the video card is broken. I just moved the card from my computer at home to my computer at school so the card should be in working condition unless the swap/move did something to it. I cannot currently test the card in another desktop because i am at school and do not have access to another desktop.

The specs of the computer i am trying to install the card in right now are as follows,
Motherboard: Asus P5BV-C Server motherboard
RAM: 4gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2
Processor: Intel Xeon

HDD and other components are irrelevant seeing as i have removed them from the equation whilst trying to resolve the current problem.

Basically, my main question is. Is it possible for the bios error code to be a result of a dead video card, or simply an incompatibility issue, and if it is the latter, could a bios update resolve this issue?

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.
~Alex

kovenant675

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hrmm, I saw some guy on another forum sort of relevant to this one said that he had a 5850 in his P5B mobo which is a 1.0 slot and that it worked, he just had to plug something into the integrated vga slot and then swap after boot. I would try this if I had a dvi to vga adapter with me.