y22yu

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Can anyone tell me why this PSU is so bad?

Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus 700W

http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/229629/RS-700-PCAA-E3/COOLERMASTER/

Cause im building a new rig with a gtx 580 and most people say a 620 watt PSU is not enough to run it with everything else and that 700W PSU was around the same price.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Generally people dont recommend CoolerMaster PSU's unless your going for the really top end Gold-rated ones.

700w will plenty of power. Id recommend taking a look at these brands though (they generally come much more highly recommended);

- OCZ
- XFX
- Corsair
- Antec
- SeaSonic

EDIT: CoolerMaster PSU's have a reputation for exploding and taking components out with it. The actual %-age statistic of this, im not too sure of, but the general thoughts are "Why risk it?" when you can get a different branded PSU thats backed up with more reliablity.

I did not know that Cooler Master had a reputation for their PSUs exploding.
The problem with Cooler Master's poorer units is not that they explode, it is that they can rarely deliver their stated wattage while remaining in spec. Some don't provide their rated wattage at all.
The eXtreme Power series are one such series.

A high quality 620W would be fine for a system with a GTX 580, certainly better than using a 700W of questionable quality.

julius 85

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

Yes, but this is extreme power plus. those are low end, have low efficiency, high ripple, they are noisy and can't deliver the labeled wattage. The GX series is OK, though.

EDIT! I looked up some user reviews and it seems that this isn't that bad. But I would avoid it just in case.