SuperDoctor III Not Reading CPU Temp and Fan Speed

shelzmike

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I have a whitebox with a SuperMicro P8SCT and I have been getting mysterious beeps from the board. They are not like post beeps - more like long drawn out beeps that seem to happen more when I am running an install/uninstall so I am thinking maybe fan speed/cpu temp, etc. The PC is running just fine though.

So, I installed SuperDoctor III and it is reading power levels, but nothing else - fan speed and cpu temp is not registering at all. Is there something I can do to fix this?

The machine is running Windows 7 64-Bit.

Also, I am not sure if this could be related, but the intrustion alert keeps activating. I will clear it and it will activate immediately again. I can check that out mechanically but otherwise would like the fan and cpu sensors to work. Thanks!

Oh, and the limits are not set under Monitoring for either of these two as well. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Mike

shelzmike

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, looking in the BIOs - I do see the sensors are working in the hardware monitor section. I tried flashing the bios earlier from within Superdoctor and it failed with an error so I am a little timid to try now. This is a pretty major production server. I may bite the bullet though and just go for it.

shelzmike

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Actually, as I look at it - it very well may be the processor heating up too much...Just sitting in bios it is getting to about 145 F, the alarm is set to be at 167 F so it is a good chance. Looks like I am going to have to reapply some thermal paste, which I do not necessarily mind - it is taking the old crap off that is the biggest pain!!

Mike

shelzmike

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, I did all that. Funny story..after checking BIOS settings, I rebooted and the alarm continued forever - never turned off...it was driving me crazy(the sound and figuring out what was causing it). Well, as I checked the monitoring, for some reason the fan speed monitor was set to like 3800 RPM and it was only running 1800 ish. This was not the cause of my original problem, but funny that it happened like that. I set it back in SuperDoctor and guess what? Now my temp sensors (and all others) are working now? Weird.

shelzmike

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Well, while I am not sure what was causing the first set of beeps (before I installed Superdoctor) I did discover the problem with the beeps that would start and never stop. It was because on the Superdoctor monitor, the CPU and System temp was set to N/A instead of an actual value. I set it to what I have in the BIOS and as soon as I clicked set the beep stopped.

Thanks for the help!