Need help selecting motherboard

Hello, i've just been looking atparts for a new build however, im a noobcake when it comes to selecting a new motherboard.
Im thinking of a i5 2320 or 2400 Won't overclock
Nvidia GTX550ti or GTX560
8gb ddr3 ram dual channel or 6gb ddr3 ram triple channel
3 or 4 SATA devices 1 or 2 molex.
ATX
I was looking at a Asus P8Z68 V-LX but at £75 is this too high for my system. I'm just trying to get one as cheap as possible that will suite these needs and wont cut my performance levels.
PS Im in the UK *sips tea and bites crumpet.*
5 answers Last reply
More about need selecting motherboard
  1. I would like to get more info from you before I make a recommendation, as I do not want to give you bad advice if you had other plans. I would like to know if you plan on running sata 3.0gbs or 6.0gbs. Is USB 3.0 important to you? Do you need front USB 3.0 headers? You said triple channel, I do not believe you can run triple channel on any board that supports the LGA 1155 which is what your proc will be. Also, do you plan on SLi? All of this is important for making a valid decision.
  2. robertris2 said:
    I would like to get more info from you before I make a recommendation, as I do not want to give you bad advice if you had other plans. I would like to know if you plan on running sata 3.0gbs or 6.0gbs. Is USB 3.0 important to you? Do you need front USB 3.0 headers? You said triple channel, I do not believe you can run triple channel on any board that supports the LGA 1155 which is what your proc will be. Also, do you plan on SLi? All of this is important for making a valid decision.

    No SLI
    No triple channel will get 8gb
    Whats the difference beetween 3.0gbs and 6.0gbs
    USB 3.0 isn't neccesary but would be nice
  3. OwenNRX70 said:
    No SLI
    No triple channel will get 8gb
    Whats the difference beetween 3.0gbs and 6.0gbs
    USB 3.0 isn't neccesary but would be nice


    Well you said you will have 3-4 sata devices, which ones? If they are ssd rated at 6gbps you will want a board that uses the same interface to achieve maximum performance. If all are 6gbps you will want a board that has 4 of those bad boys. With a regular hdd you probably won't notice a huge decrease in performance between 3 and 6 gbps but I like to use the interface my hdd is rated for. Also, even if you had 3gbps devices, most new gen devices will be 6gbps, so a board that supports them will be a nice way of future proofing.
  4. robertris2 said:
    Well you said you will have 3-4 sata devices, which ones? If they are ssd rated at 6gbps you will want a board that uses the same interface to achieve maximum performance. If all are 6gbps you will want a board that has 4 of those bad boys. With a regular hdd you probably won't notice a huge decrease in performance between 3 and 6 gbps but I like to use the interface my hdd is rated for. Also, even if you had 3gbps devices, most new gen devices will be 6gbps, so a board that supports them will be a nice way of future proofing.

    Would like 2-3 SATA 6.0gbs as I have no SSD but my Hard Drive is super quick well for a Hard Drive it is.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards