When changing from hdmi to dvi all desktop icons disappear

bigtk

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hello,when I change from HDMI to DVI on my monitor all desktop icons disappear. To get them back you normally right click on desktop and tick show desktop icons but it is already ticked. I then have to reboot pc to get them back. Is that normal.

Solution
First, why are you changing from HDMI to DVI on the same computer/monitor? You should only have one connection between the 2 of them at a time.

This sounds like your GPU (video card) assumes you have 2 monitors attached to it and it extends the desktop to the second monitor, only there isn't a second monitor. The icons are there, just not on the second monitor. I know this sounds confusing.

Just remove one of the connections and you will be fine. Good luck!!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, why are you changing from HDMI to DVI on the same computer/monitor? You should only have one connection between the 2 of them at a time.

This sounds like your GPU (video card) assumes you have 2 monitors attached to it and it extends the desktop to the second monitor, only there isn't a second monitor. The icons are there, just not on the second monitor. I know this sounds confusing.

Just remove one of the connections and you will be fine. Good luck!!!

Solution

bigtk

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Thanks COLGeek for your help. The manual that came with the card doesn't tell you this so I just assumed you used both cables as per the diagram on the back of the manual.

bigtk

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Thanks again COLGeek, my apologies for not getting back sooner. I connected HDMI only and it works excellent with pic and sound.