Sign in with
Your question

Asus not showing on monitor

Last response: in Motherboards
April 11, 2012 8:29:17 PM

Hello,

I have a rig that someone had built for my sister and was just going to steal the HDD out of it but decided to see if I could get it working instead. She said it was working fine and then it stopped showing up on the monitor so they tried a dif one and it still wouldn't

It has an ASUS A8V-VM motherboard and a monitor port attatched to the motherboard.
I had a PCI video card from an old dell (nVIDIA g-force2mx) and figured I could shove it in and give it a try but it doesn't fit. When I turn it on the HDD spins up the green light on the board lights up and all the fans start running.

So I am wondering if there is something more going on and what kind of Video card can I get to fit in the system if that it the problem

More about : asus showing monitor

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
a c 160 V Motherboard
April 12, 2012 12:55:55 AM

Not much info here but let's see what we do. When you power up the pc, get light, fan, etc... do you also hear any beeps? A single beep or multiple beeps - or any noise other than fans?
From what I can tell, the card should fit that motherboard - can get back to that.
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:10:48 AM

Sorry if I am lacking info, if you let me know what more info you need I will try to get it. No I do not hear any beeps when I turn on the tower. I am not familiar with the brand nor do I know exactly what components are installed so I'm kinda flying blind here.
m
l
Related resources
April 12, 2012 1:14:01 AM

Also I am not sure what happened to it right before it stopped working . She said her boyfriend just came out one day from the comp room and said it needed a new vid card but what the hell does he know.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2012 1:29:49 AM

If you're getting no display, pickup a cheap PCI Express graphics card and give it a try. Not sure where you're from, but Newegg has compatible graphics cards pretty cheap. Something like this would work for a test card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 12, 2012 1:45:04 AM

I believe the card you are trying to put in there is AGP, which this board does not support. Sykozis is probably on to something, grab a cheap $15 card and return it later (if you can or want to). You can also try other troubleshooting, i.e. take out the ram, see if you get any video, clear CMOS. Although the VGA is probably the culprit, it doesn't hurt to try other methods of troubleshooting plus you usually get some good hands on experience you can use down the road. Who knows, it might be something even easier.
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:32:04 AM

Well, after the brain fart cleared away I started thinking about the fact that it didn't beep on start up so its not that it wasn't displaying but that it wasn't booting at all. Found the manual online and started checking everyhting according to the specifications on there and wouldn't you know the RAM was in the wrong slot (when using single ram stick it needs to be inserted into b1 and they had it in A1) so I moved it and presto it booted right up. Thank you guys for trying to help. I got stuck on the whole "it needs a new vid card" thing.
m
l
April 12, 2012 2:35:34 AM

Good job, I'm happy you got it working. I was on the right track lol
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
a c 160 V Motherboard
April 12, 2012 3:18:23 AM

Griffin276 said:
Well, after the brain fart cleared away I started thinking about the fact that it didn't beep on start up so its not that it wasn't displaying but that it wasn't booting at all. Found the manual online and started checking everyhting according to the specifications on there and wouldn't you know the RAM was in the wrong slot (when using single ram stick it needs to be inserted into b1 and they had it in A1) so I moved it and presto it booted right up. Thank you guys for trying to help. I got stuck on the whole "it needs a new vid card" thing.

Given the situation and the information you were presented with, getting 'fix'ated on a specific issue (video in this case) is understandable. I have found myself in that situation many times. That's why I figured it'd be best to work from the beginning... well, that and a lack of more specific information.
enjoy
m
l
!